We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best destination to dive from?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
19 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best destination to dive from?

Hi--

I am coming in December. I am an avid scuba diver. I would like to visit the best sites Thailand has to offer without having to do a liveaboard. Can any one recommend a base? I've thought of staying in Phuket but hear the distance to the dives is long and it is quite expensive. I'm willing to invest the time and money if I have to, but was wondering if there might be any insider tips available from those that have been there or destination guides.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,245 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

Why not contact someone like the Phuket Scuba Club

http://www.phuket-scuba-club.com/index.html

They do dives just off Kata in Southern Phuket as well as some distance from Phuket.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

The similans offer excellent diving, easiest reachable from khao lak. If you only want to dive similans, including koh bon, koh tachai and richelieu rock, a base in khao lak makes most sense.

But if you also want to dive other sites like shark point, buda islands, king cruiser and even hin daeng and hin muang, phuket is the only base from where you can reach all those sites on daytrips.

Phuket
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

Oh but some of the best sites like Richelieu Rock or Hin Daeng are best reached by liveaboard. From Phuket you can do local day trips or trips to Phi PhI or day trips to the Similan Islands, but Similans trips go via Khao Lak (Thap Lamu pier), so for Similan Islands day trips better to stay in Khao Lak. For diving around Phi Phi, better to stay in Phi Phi. For diving Hin Daeng, better to stay at Koh Lanta. Why not do a couple of short liveaboards? Or have you tried liveaboard diving before and found it not to your liking? It really is the best way to dive the Similan islands area.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
19 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

My concern about the liveaboards is feeling trapped on the boat in between dives when I would love to go lay on a sandy beach and sun myself. Do you know of any liveaboard companies that take you in to the beaches on the dinghys? I've never been on one so I guess I just thought that you were always on the boat. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

5. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 05:43
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

You can NOT organise diving from the islands, but have to do that beforehand.

While on a liveaboard, you will be able to go to the islands now and then, but not on a regular basis. If staying overnight on the islands, you will go there after diving, not in between.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,168 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

I stand corrected.

If you stay in Khao Lak you have the best of both worlds, rather the best of 2 of the World's best diving sites, the Similan Islands, 75 minutes by speedboat from Tab Lamu, about 15 minutes south of Khao Lak and the Surin Islands, about 75 minutes by speedboat from Kuraburi, just over an hour north from Khao Lak. Both islands have accommodation (tents or bungalows) on them organised by the respective National Parks where you can stay overnight and after dives that you have arranged beforehand.

8. Re: What is the best destination to dive from?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 05:33