We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket to Hua Hin

cheltenham
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Phuket to Hua Hin

Hello

My wife and I will be travelling early 2008 and I was thinking of hiring a car to go from Phuket to Hua Hin. We want to take maybe a week (end of January) and be able to stop whenever we want, ie Khao Lak, Khao Sok Ranong etc.

Has anyone done this who can give me any advice, we are based in the UK but I have driven in Europe and America and I would like to know if the roads are good , will we have any trouble finding places to stay and are there any gems we should not miss.

Thanks

Rob

Western Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Phuket to Hua Hin

Hi Rob

I've done your proposed trip quite a few times - so I guess it follows that I think your plan is a really good one.

The roads are very good between Phuket and Hua Hin, and you will have no trouble finding places to stay. Just be careful driving at night - ideally, don't - there are too many poorly lit (or not lit at all) motorbikes, to say nothing of dark coloured dogs sleeping on the edge of dark coloured bitumen! I always find it's much more relaxing to have booked in for the night before dark, so that you can wander around and have a look at the place, and have a quiet drink with your evening meal knowing that you won't be driving until the next day (even though the roads are good, you would be insane to drink and drive in Thailand).

For your first time I recommend buying the latest Lonely Planet guide to Thailand. It's surprisingly detailed in showing choices of available accomodation in even quite remote places, and also tells you places of interest in just about everywhere you are likely to go, as well as places to eat.

It's worth using a major Car Rental firm who provide reliable insurance - if you hire for a week with Budget you don't have any drop-off fee, and I find their service is terrific.

One interesting place to spend a day/night is Prachuap Khiri Khan, a really nice Thai provincial town - stay at Hadthong hotel right on the waterfront, ocean view room for about 1100 baht(inc. breakfast), and visit Ao Manao just down the road through the Wing 53 Thai Air Force base to experience a typical Thai beach, with delicious Thai food served on the beach under the umbrellas.

I'm sure you will find lots of similar special places of your own, and that you will have a great time.

Regards

Mike

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Phuket to Hua Hin

I agree with Mike.

There are 2 road routes, one goes through Khao lak and Ranong and joins the main highway on the east, the other passes Phang Nga to Surat Thani and then north. The route via Surat Thani is the fastest and best, the road after Ranong going that way can be hilly with lots of bends, but that route does give you the chance to go via Khao Lak.

Some nice places to stay are Bang Saphan / Baan krut, you can take a boat the short trip over to koh Talu island which is small, laid back, but comfortable a/c accommodation, some nice low rise beachy places to stay around Bang Saphan area, also prachuap is a nice little town, nice scenery, manao Bay etc, just north from there is Sam Roi Yot National Park and Dolphin Bay before you reach Pranburi and then Hua Hin.

There are cheap places but also some high end places along the coast.

The total distance Phuket to Hua hin is about 650 km ( from say Patong area on Phuket ) so it is not a great distance, a couple of hours between places is easy. Not much north from Surat Thani until Chumphon area.

I also agree Budget are about the best. I believe if you rent for a certain number of days you avoid any 'drop charges'.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Phuket to Hua Hin

Bang Saphan and Baan krut and those others are north of Chumphon, from Surat Thani north it is only about 1 hr 45 to Chumphon, another hour to around Bang saphan and then perhaps 30-40 mins to the beach areas.

From Chumphon you can go by fast boat about 1 hr 30 mins to Koh Tao island.

I would though book a day or so ahead so you know where you are heading to, easiest to head to the resort, check in, then you have free time to explorew the area.

Baanklangaow Resort , Banito Resort , Coral Hotel, in Bang Saphan are all quite nice, a night on Koh Talu island though is well worth it for snorkeling.

From Bang Saphan an hour 30 gets you around Prachuap area and then the national park which is along the coast, Dolphin Bay is a nice small resort, by that time you are just 40 mins from Hua Hin.

Distances are very easy, considor that Phuket by car reasonable speed to Hua Hin including a few fuel and snack stops perhaps 8 hrs 30 to 9 hrs realy taking it 'easy', so there are no long distances when stopping along the way.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Phuket to Hua Hin

Hi Rob,

We drove from Hua Hin to Phuket with our two kids and loved it.

We pre-booked our car with Budget, they were great, the cars are almost new.

We found the drive easy, other motorist were very polite, roads are well marked and sign posted, toilet stops easy at petrol stations.

Driving in Phuket is crazy, but it quickly calms down as you leave the island.

For us it was driving on the same side of the road , for you it will be opposite?

We loved the whole drive, we did it in 3 stops-

# Hua Hin to Chumpon, ( to close)

# Chumpon to Khoa Sok , (to far)

#Khoa Sok to Phuket, ( just right)

I think four stops would of been more fun but my map reading skill kept on miss judging the distances, high light for us was staying at "Arts River View Lodge" Khoa Sok.

As we were there not long after the tsunami we had a collection of money to donate to the fisherman's fund at Khoa Lak, a place where they were teaching locals who lost everything to build and maintain their own boats visiting them was a very humbling and worthwhile experience.

cheltenham
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Phuket to Hua Hin

Many Thanks

we are off on qiite a long trip, and after reading your replies I am sure that this leg of the journey will be one of the better ones

Thanks again

Rob

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Phuket to Hua Hin

I am sure you will enjoy, some lovely places to stay and visit along the way.

7. Re: Phuket to Hua Hin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 18:19