We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time - best place to stay

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
591 posts
137 reviews
First time - best place to stay

Hello

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Thailand, finishing with a week in Phuket. We want a nice hotel with a good pool, which has lots of restaurants in walking distance so we can have a variety of affordable dinner options. We’d also like some cheap bars nearby if possible.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that might suit us? Our travel agent has recommended either The Amari Phuket or Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach. I’m struggling to see if these places meet our needs - it doesn’t look like there are restaurants nearby but TA maps can be deceiving.

Thanks all

Pippa

16 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
215 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: First time - best place to stay

Why go to Thailand to focus on a nice hotel , i understand you want to relax etc , but go out and see the place of Phuket , you want memories of Phuket , not memories and pictures of the hotel

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
591 posts
137 reviews
2. Re: First time - best place to stay

I will. But I still want a nice place to sleep! And if you read the post properly, my entire question is around being in a location where I can get out and about...

Edited: 10 April 2018, 15:09
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: First time - best place to stay

The actual hotel is very important to me!

I stayed at the Pullman in Feb and yes the hotel is excellent, with 2 pools and easy beach access, but you are quite limited on local bars and restaurants in the evening. Naithon village is a stretch of road behind the beach and only a 5 min walk from the hotel. There are about 10 restaurants and a couple of bars. The hotel has a nice Italian restaurant - where we ate twice. We spent one evening at Nai Yang (10 mins away in a taxi) and one Sunday evening at Phuket Old Town Market, so the limited restaurants in Naithon was not an issue for our 10 night stay.

We didn't go to any bars (we were in bed most nights by 10pm!) - however Naithon is not a lively place - it's very chilled.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
591 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: First time - best place to stay

Chilled is good! I don’t want to party but I do like a beer or two ;-)

That’s some great info on the area - thank you! Do you remember what the prices were like, both in the hotel and outside? We went to Vietnam last year and were quite shocked by the food and bar prices of our hotel in Da Nang, and we were limited for restaurants nearby which was a shame.

On reflection I think Atlantis is a troll given that this comment has been his only contribution in the whole Thai forum!!

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
944 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: First time - best place to stay

Hi, have you looked at the Slate in nai yang? It’s in a lovely quiet part of Phuket, ten minutes from the airport but no aircraft noise apparently, and it’s right next to the beach which has lots of restaurants all within walking distance. Might be worth a look for you? We are staying there next April.

Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: First time - best place to stay

All the hotel prices are in the drinks/food menu's for each venue on the hotel website:

www.pullmanphuketarcadia.com/dine-imbibe/

Although not cheap, they all felt like good value for money. The hotel does a happy hour each day where cocktails are 2-4-1. And a free drinks event every Thursday between 5-7pm. Most of the rooms have free soft drinks included so we'd always have a G&T in our room in the evening - we bought duty free with us from Heathrow. The hotel is more than happy to give you ice for the room. The village has a well stocked supermarket too - but prices for wine/spirts were fairly high - a can/bottle of beer was about £1.50. The hotel seemed quite relaxed if you drank your own drinks and snacks around the pool.

The prices outside of the hotel were cheaper. Dinner for 2 with drinks (G&T and wine) was never more than £25. There were food stands too where prices are much lower but we didn't eat at any of these.

Say if you want any further info!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: First time - best place to stay

I stayed at the Amari Phuket in January and it was a beautiful hotel and there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance, though I personally found I preferred to take a tuk tuk after walking a few times. it's probably about a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest restaurants outside the hotel. It's 200 Baht for a tuk tuk ride though and that can take you to many more options in a 5 minute trip.

The Amari is right at the end of Patong beach so there are many, many bars nearby too, but it is a major tourist area so finding anything cheap might be a challenge.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
680 posts
407 reviews
8. Re: First time - best place to stay

Hello. Luxuryescapes.com has a deal going for The Pullman that ends in two days - you might want to take a look. I saw this advertised in the newspaper last weekend and have just checked it is still on. Lots of people on the forum book using Luxury Escapes. We haven't stayed there yet, just thought I would alert you to the deal, which we are about to book. Enjoy.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: First time - best place to stay

google Tony Resort in Patong, looks good nice big pool, and swim up bar, and shops right outside your door, and very cheap, has good reviews,

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: First time - best place to stay

Hi Pippa

I am a huge fan of Amari and would recommend them without hesitation. It is set on the quiet side of Patong with stunning views across the bay. They have 3 beautiful pools including the exclusive club house rim flow pool for those few guests staying in the ocean wing with club access. You get afternoon canapés, evening happy hour and unrivaled pampering.

In addition they have 2 restaurant's bring Rim Talay that offers a la carte or buffets with a different theme each night.

However the best restaurant on the premises is La Gritta which not only has an amazing bar with stunning sun set views but awesome food with the same jaw dropping views.

The nightlife and bars of Patong are from a 15 minute walk away or you can catch a tuk tuk at 200thb for a one way trip for both of you.

Really envious

Enjoy.

Reply to: First time - best place to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted