We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
Travel Insurance

just wanted to ask members who they use for coverage, and if youve had any claims, who paid up without putting u through the wringer

thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Travel Insurance

I have done 25 International trips and have never needed to claim

Perhaps I am Lucky !!!!Perhaps my luck is going to run out ???

As we know insurance is for poor people, the very rich and large companies general carry very little.My car was hit by a truck from one of the Major transport companies. When I ask who their insurance company was they advise they did not have one. They did fully pay for the repairs.

As a general rule a full policy is probably around 140 AUD for 30 days for a trip to Asia. Just like any insurance, it is about risk. some people are unlucky .For me ,I take a basic policy, I work on the basis, I am unable to go on my trip and my ticket costs on average 700 AUD, the reason I could not go would be very serious and that money would not be of concern.If for some reason,I need to return early it would be the same. Most Hotel, I book can be cancelled a few days before with no issue.Worst case I might have to pay one night. I have never lost my passport , luggage or had money stolen.

Medical is the big one and that is why, and I now go to Thailand 3 times a year I take a basic cover.

A trip to a Thai Doctor or a Hospital for a minor issue , usual does not cost that much. Many of these would not be worth lodging a claim.

I use compare the market to go to a company.I have done a check and if I go direct to that company web site it will cost more.

I bought a basic policy last week and it was 55.00 AUD. (I have paid less)

That said there are people out there how have had multi claims.

If I was going to Europe on a complex trip, I would up the cover. For me Thailand is a country I know well and I am comfortable in a basic policy.

Chok Dee

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Travel Insurance

If you do a search there was a thread on this very recently. Southern Cross Insurance was fairly popular. I know it is boring as watching paint dry but take the time to read the T's & C's so you know exactly what you are covered for.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
94 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Travel Insurance

I've used Southern Cross Travel Insurance a few times and it was good. Made a medical claim and it was paid out without any fuss. Also used Kangocover and no problems either

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Travel Insurance

Thanks all, i ended up going with tick insurance, paid extra to wave the excess ( fingers crossed i wont need to claim) and also paid for natural disaster..

got caught in the bali volcano back in december, and had to pay out over $800 to get home

Reply to: Travel Insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted