We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booked to go solo to phuket

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
booked to go solo to phuket

hi all,

i just booked myself a 7 day holiday to phuket staying at the patong palace hotel, got a great deal through agoda,

how do i get to hotel from airport, do i try and find a driver or look for private transfers, or catch a taxi..

i have no idea on prices or the money value in thailand, i always went to bali..

also just relised that ive booked for rainy season, hopely it wont rain the whole week im there..

am a bit anxious going there on my own, have een once before back in 2010 with my son, but he has since flown the coup and lives in another state..

also which is the cheapest but best travel insurance to take out for myself

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank u

Edited: 20 February 2018, 23:38
12 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

Taxi at the airport is 800baht or you can get hotel pickup. Depending on the cost the hotel charges.

You will be fine. Exchange a small amount of money at the airport and exchange kiosks everywhere just like in Bali.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

Taxi is easiest.

For insurance I would recommend using an online broker. I've used InsureMyTrip.com for years and they are excellent. You put in your destination and dates and can choose from a range of plans with multiple providers.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

If you go on the assumption of 25 Baht to the dollar, the money is easy to work out.

100฿ - $4

500฿ - $20

1000฿ - $40

Not as simple as IDR but still easy enough.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

if you google cathy and gary phuket prices - they have a page with common costs for food / drinks and shopping.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
5. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

Agree with iamsuperk - Cathy and Gary is an excellent source of information on Phuket. Re transfers - a forum search will give you plenty of info on this. I prefer to have something arranged so prebook a car. I use PhuketShuttle - always clean and reliable for me. Plenty of other good ones. SouthernCross travel insurance might be worth a look. Good to deal with and good prices. Good luck and I’m sure you will have a good time.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

Thank you to all the above people for your input..

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

i looked at that insuremytrip, its an american site

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

Found phuket src travel online, they charge 600 one way or 1200 baht return, pick up in private car and wait for you with name on sign, happy with that as sems the cheapest i could find, and got my travel insurance with Tick

Edited: 10 March 2018, 03:54
Melbourne
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
9. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

600 is a very good price. Good shopping there. I’ll have a look at them myself. Have a good trip.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: booked to go solo to phuket

Still nervous about travelling alone there, hotel hasnt been very helpful or friendly, cant cancel as will loose all my money, strange that they keep the lot, hope ive still got my booking when i arrive!!

Reply to: booked to go solo to phuket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted