We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me your opinions

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me your opinions

Hello. Im from Alabama. This may is my younger sister's graduation from high school. We're about to book a cruise from Miami to Bahamas, but phuket caught my eye. Now the cruise is 1300$ up front for all 3 of us (My self, the wife, and sis). That cost doesnt include tips, alcohol drink packages x2 or excursions for 3 people. Now flights from Chicago to phuket are $600 a piece (maybe cheaper I have flyer miles). Rooms are 50-75 a night if we share a room. I think thailand is more $ up front but everything is dirt cheap for American money. So what do y'all think. Cruise to Bahamas and half moon cay or phuket? Im looking for the most cost efficient. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
3 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7,864 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me your opinions

These are like trying to compare apples and oranges.

It is a long time since Thailand was "dirt cheap" yes since the USD recovered after the GFC it has become value for money place again when you have USD.

Cruise often offer very good value..however they sting you with the alcohol and add on tour packages.

Chok dee

Mentioned in this post
sydney
Level Contributor
91 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me your opinions

The return trip from USA to Thailand will probably take up 3 days of your holiday so take that into account. On a cruise you will be surrounded by other Americans, in Thailand there won't be many. It all depends on how adventurous you feel.

Mentioned in this post
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,760 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me your opinions

Bear in mind that May is the first month of the Wet (Monsoon) Season on Phuket so is likely to be hot and humid, potential cloud and rain usually short and sharp in the afternoons. On the other hand being Low Season accommodation rates are often half of High Season.

Reply to: Tell me your opinions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted