We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Trouble In Thailand?

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Big Trouble In Thailand?

we have been to Phuket 4 times, in February we are spliitting our trip

between Pattaya & Phuket, recently on TV there has been a program "big troublein Thailand" which describes mainly Pattaya as a dangerous holiday destination in particular in and around walking st, this has my wife worried that this wasnt a good idea and that we will get mugged etc, i told her this show would only focus on the bad and usually its alcohol thats the main culprit, she terrified of going to Pattaya especially as we are going with another family and we both have sons ranging from 18-22, can anybody put her mind at rest? espcially seasoned Pattaya travellers

The Flat...
Level Contributor
154 posts
21. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

We all have our own opinions but when Thailand has so much beauty, culture, religion, flora, fauna, beaches & warm wonderful people, unless it is a "Far Eastern Ibiza" or as fellow member says, "Las Vegas-style vulgarity", you are looking for, what WOULD non-Thai families enjoy ? Unless, they stay "in resort" for their holiday ?

As far as keeping farang-women out is concerned - I'd welcome them like anyone else but I don't see the attraction. Just look at the "Things to Do" on this forum and compare with BKK, Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

For families or couples, compare with Hua Hin, Phuket, Samui or Krabi - DIFFERENT CLASS !

Pattaya is like a can of Ronson Timber Treatment - "it does what it says on the can".

It's Blackpool with more sunshine, better food & marginally less northerners.

Cheap as chips - which are readily available (along with burgers, pizzas & Indian food).

Oh by the way, I don't play golf but I'm told by those that do, the golf courses are great & very inexpensive....So that's ok for golfing families or couples.

George.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
1 review
22. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

i've said it before on this site - you're only likely to have problems if you go looking for it, or do something very stupid eg believing a man who approaches you on the street and offers you a bargain if you'll just follow him... my only advice re problems is don't hire a jetski as my tourist police contacts tell me they are still extorting money for damage previously caused , or if you must, photo the thing from all sides. walking street is perfectly safe - i rarely go there because you pay premium prices there.

if you have anything to worry about it should be for 20'ish aged young men that accompany you as temptation will abound for them!

incidentally i found qite bizarre the suggestion to stay in north pattaya and never venture further than the shopping mall (central?) - there is plenty od other food, shopping malls and entertainment places south of there

Essex
Level Contributor
194 posts
204 reviews
23. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

My husband and I have been to various destinations in Thailand: Bangkok, Hua Hin, Cha Am, Kanchanaburi, Krabi and most recently (in August 2010 with our daughter, sister-in-law and three friends) Pattaya. We read many reports on Trip Advisor, and indeed watched some of the now infamous 'Trouble in Thailand'. What did we find? A resort that could be anything you wanted it to be. We had quiet nights in resort, finding little restaurants and bars; we visited attractions; we went to 'girly bars' (for a drink to shelter from the rain, and had a great night) and we went several times to Walking Street and neighbouring area. Not once did we feel intimidated. Not once were we made to feel uncomfortable. We had a fabulous time, and as other posters have said the only problems we could see were drunken farangs. We loved it so much, we are going back again next year. For the record we were not youngsters, but ranged fro 29 to 64 - as people have said, Pattaya can cater for all tastes.

The Flat...
Level Contributor
154 posts
24. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

Well done Rhonda - I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I must just be getting cynical in my dotage !

It's grey, misty, raining & 30C here today ! Uncomfortable yes but at least the rain is warm - unlike what I left in Essex yesterday !

George.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
25. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

hear hear! Rhonda...

You can easily choose your level of engagement while holidaying in the Pattaya area, from oblivious right through to handsome bar fly.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
26. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

As a regular traveller to Pattaya, I just came back on Tuesday, I have seen the programme and I have to admit I have never seen any trouble when I go. I think if the programme showed everybody having a good time well there would have been no need to make the programme as nobody would have watched it. I think a programme like that could have been made in any holiday destination but I think they were trying to sensationalise the area. I love Thailand and I would recommend it to anyone, I wish I was still there...

The Flat...
Level Contributor
154 posts
27. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

Put me down as a "hansummm Bar Fly" then !

No trouble at all this week & we've had 2 all nighters so very safe.....but still not a family resort !

George.

28. Re: Big Trouble In Thailand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 05:16