We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh samui in August

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Koh samui in August

We are both teachers and can only holiday the last two weeks of July or in August. It looks like the weather is better in Koh Samui than Phuket. Is this right? Would we still get to the beach without umbrellas? If not does anyone have any other suggestions? We have two teenage children and have been to Mexico, Cuba and Egypt in recent years and keen to show them a bit more of the world before they step out on their own. Thank you.

Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh samui in August

Hello Wendy.

You should be fine In late July - in fact it's a great time to visit samui. There may be the odd shower ( as in all tropical areas) but expect good weather mostly.

Phuket on the other hand will have more rain and rough seas at that time.

Sth chaweng would be a good area for you with teenagers - great beach and a range of restaurants and shops nearby but not in the thick of the busyness.

Enjoy - we just love samui and I'm sure you will too!

Edited: 29 December 2013, 00:28
perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh samui in August

Hi Wendy

July - September the weather is great in koh Samui ( east coast ) as it is dry season this coast. Phuket is on west coast and its rainy season that rim of year.

Just keep in mind Thailand is tropicals you might /will have short shower or two.

Cheers,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh samui in August

You will still get some heavy thunderstorms but nothing major and the gulf coast is the best coast during the summer months so Koh Samui would be a great option.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,593 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh samui in August

I alwais go in august or early september, the weather has alwais been pretty good.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh samui in August

August is high season for Samui. The weather is normally good. My experience after many visits to Samui during the summer is the following: A short shower in early evening 5-7 pm is not uncommon, but most of them is only for a very short time 5-20 minutes. Heavy rain can occur, but in will clear-up again

After my experience the weather at Samui in August is better than the weather at Phuket in January.

You can see some statistics here: www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php…

…blogspot.dk/2013_08_01_archive.html

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh samui in August

Hi, just seen this post. I would be interested to know how you get on if you decide to go ahead with this trip. I'm planning to do the same next year in Aug for 2 weeks with my 2 teenage sons. I'd be grateful for any tips, I've never been out of Europe before and never been travelling. Hope u have a great time!

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh samui in August

Hi, just seen this post. I would be interested to know how you get on if you decide to go ahead with this trip. I'm planning to do the same next year in Aug for 2 weeks with my 2 teenage sons. I'd be grateful for any tips, I've never been out of Europe before and never been travelling. Hope u have a great time!

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh samui in August

Thank you. I'll try to remember!

Durham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh samui in August

Hi I am considering a visit to Koh Samui with family in July Aug Can anyone let me know the political and associated security position Has KS been impacted greatly by lack of tourism and has the ambience been impacted in any way

Paderborn, Germany
Level Contributor
57 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh samui in August

Only thing I would say about August is that it can be very humid. You can get heavy showers anytime on Samui but the bonus is, they usually dry up just as quickly as they arrive!

Enjoy!

Edited: 16 June 2014, 12:05