We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February Flower Festival

alberta
Level Contributor
474 posts
54 reviews
February Flower Festival

Currently in planning phase of our trip to Thailand and are questioning if the Flower Festival the first week in February is of significance to plan around. We arrive in Bamgkok the 31 of January and could fly directly onto Chiang Mai but would rather spend our first few days in Bangkok. But if the festival is outstanding we would go direct to Chiang Mai instead of later as we had planned. Your opionions will be appreciated. Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: February Flower Festival

Depends on your definition of "outstanding". We go every year and enjoy the flowers, the floats, the food. However it is not Chelsea.

But as you are planning to visit Chiang Mai anyway, why not plan to go there first, experience a local Thai festival, enjoy the flowers, foods and such. Bangkok will still be there afterwards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: February Flower Festival

We are arriving in CM on 5th Feb - not planned around the festival but would love to be there to see it one year, as I have seen lovely pictures from other people's trips. I believe it is held in the first weekend of Feb - meaning we will miss it. Is this correct?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: February Flower Festival

Yes, it is held the first weekend of February, so in 2019 on the 1st to 3rd.

alberta
Level Contributor
474 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: February Flower Festival

We do have some flexibility, Mr Cycling I think reflected my sentiments. Unfortunately can't leave until Jan29 to Bangkok but will try to go directly onto Chiang Mai instead of the stop over in Bangkok. Is the festival going to create an additional burden on accommodation, question if we should book well in advance or will a day or two ahead will do the job?

Thanks

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: February Flower Festival

The festival draws a fair number of Thai tourists, but I don't think it puts any major additional burden on hotel accommodations. But keep in mind winter (Nov-Feb) is high season, so booking your hotel as soon as you are sure of your dates never hurts.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: February Flower Festival

We were there for the flower festival this year and it was stunning. I really enjoyed it. I would think the floral displays would still be there a few days after the festival spopey - you would just miss the floats.

Caroline.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: February Flower Festival

Most everything at Suan Buak Haad park and along the street gets torn down Sunday night. Not much to see after the festival ends.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
119 reviews
8. Re: February Flower Festival

Ah, well I will enjoy being in CM very much, whether or not I catch any last surviving floral displays. But fingers crossed...

alberta
Level Contributor
474 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: February Flower Festival

Thank you everyone, your posts have been very helpful. We are going to work our plans in a way that will make Chiang Mai our first destination and imnclude the Flower Festival.

Edited: 13 July 2018, 14:20
Reply to: February Flower Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted