We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park

Hi. I’ll be traveling to Chiangmai in end August.

One of the places I’m going is Doi Pha Hom Pok to catch the sunrise. We managed to get a local guide to bring us up but slightly worried about the wet weather. Anyone has tried hiking it during this period? Is it advisable? TIA!

2 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park

August is the peak of rainy season in the north, probably not the best time of year for a trek to the top. Late night / early morning thunderstorms are possible (though not a daily occurrence).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
2. Re: Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park

So you're driving up to the campsite right? The trek once you get to the campsite is not that difficult. Doable in all weathers but obviously a bit more slippery in the wet. A couple of hours each way maybe. You don't need a guide for the trail, it's obvious all the way to the top, and there's a ranger there that can point you in the right direction to start with. But you do need transport up to the campsite, so I guess the guide might be worth it just for that alone. The staff at the bottom aren't keen on letting vehicles through in the wet unless they're 4 wheel drive or dirt bikes. I did it on a normal scooter and it got up there just about but the brakes failed on the way down, I wasn't using a low enough gear I think.

You'll probably have the top to yourself but remember you're well above 2000 metres elevation - in the clouds. I'd avoid the early morning because clouds are likely to be in your face and visibility in that instance will be 10 metres or so. In the middle of the day the sun should have cleared the clouds and you'll be able to see miles. No guarantees though, it could be clear in the morning and cloudy in the afternoon.

Reply to: Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted