We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days or 3 days and New Years

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
42 reviews
2.5 days or 3 days and New Years

Hi all,

Trying to arrange my trip to Thailand for December and not sure when to visit Chiang Mai. I could either fly up to Chiang Mai for 2.5 days at the start of my trip or spend New Year’s Eve there at the end. I’ve heard that there is a candle lantern release on New Year’s Eve and it’s pretty chilled. Is this the case? I’m trying to decide whether to spent New Years here or on ko Lanta.

I know I won’t see everything in 2.5 days but that’s ok as I tend to get overwhelmed seeing too much at once and I forget some of it. I’d rather see a few key places knowing I can always come back and explore another time. What I really want to do is a cooking class and visit some temples. Could this be done in the 2.5 days?

1 reply
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: 2.5 days or 3 days and New Years

Around new year is one of the busiest times in Chiang Mai. So you need to make Hotel booking now if it is going to be New Years. It is a number of Years since I have been there for New year. There is a Event in the Thapae Gate area. There are also Fireworks.

The Lanterns you speak of are really in November. Not sure on the current status , they were trying to stop them at New Year. In November they stop night flights in and out because there are so many.

There are over 400 Temple in and near Chiang Mai.For a cooking class, many start late afternoon with a visit to a market. Then the cooking class .

Chok Dee

Reply to: 2.5 days or 3 days and New Years
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted