We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration queues at airport

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Immigration queues at airport

Heard some horror stories about immigration queues both on way in and exit from airport. Is there any guide as to when are the busiest times to pass through?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration queues at airport

Care to elaborate on the 'horror stories'?

The airport is always flat out. Allow a little extra time and all will be fine.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration queues at airport

My longest waits have been when leaving BKK. It seems there is only a skeleton crew working at 5 in the morning when my UA flight leaves for NRT and then on to ORD. If I'm flying first class, I get to go through the fast lane. That always helps. Otherwise, that time of the morning seems very busy with a possibly long wait in line.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigration queues at airport

Arrived Bangkok last November about 9.30-9.45am straight through no queues. Normally I arrive 7-8pm and there is a 30-45 minute queue.

Leaving always looks a lot worse than it is. You see a massive queue and think the worse but I always get through in about 20-25 minutes

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration queues at airport

I don't think Bangkok is any worse than another airport, we've never had to wait long any time we've been there.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration queues at airport

My experience(s) are similar to those of roverEngland, not exactly horror stories. The length of the lines seems to depend on the time of the day.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration queues at airport

Ben N,

My recent experience was as follows:

Arrived on 17 February at around 16.00 hrs.

There were queues as usual but not more than any other times.

I was through immigration in 30 mns and luggage was there quite speedily after that.

Left on 29 February at 13.30 hrs.

Arrived for passport checking at around 10.45hrs.

There were long queues and several of them but managed to get through in around 30 mns again.

There were no other issues to report.

Bangkok is a popular destination and I do tend to expect 30 to 45 mns etiher way. If it takes less than that, I view it as a bonus.

Happy staying

Giorgio Federico

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigration queues at airport

we travel to Bangkok numerous times throughout the year & have never really had a long wait.. no more than others & certainly NOT as bad as Sydney Airport.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,737 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Immigration queues at airport

No problems on arrival in fact through very quickly indeed, staff courteous and very efficient.

Leaving was a different issue altogether:-

One very long queue for passport control which snaked all around the departures check in hall, somewhere between quarter and half mile long (no I am not joking and I am being completely honest). Took us well over an hour to get through shuffling along. We arrived at 10.30pm. They had sign up apologising for any delays so it seems like a temporary arrangement. Straight through security as the queue was all behind us and they had far more staff and lanes to go through anyway.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 08:37
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Immigration queues at airport

You can always pay meet and greet service

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,029 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Immigration queues at airport

Most of the time when I arrive from overseas at BKK it is around midnight. By the time I finish with immigration the bags are just coming around on the carousel. Sometimes I have enough time to use the bathroom and even maybe change some money if necessary before my bag comes out.

When I leave the plane I always walk quickly and pass many passengers just poking along. Then I choose the immigration line that is shorter of course or has fewer or no contract workers in it from China. Some tourists the officials take more time with and others from Japan, Korea, US, UK, Nz, Oz seem to pass through faster. (Many contract workers have the same jacket on and sometimes have the same carry on bag.)

At 04:30 in the morning waiting 10 minutes to go through departure immigration is about normal for me. Sometimes only a couple minutes.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 13:12