We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

JHB
7 posts
Save Topic
MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

I was looking on their website to try work out what tickets to get but was not to sure which is best.

I'm in Bangkok for 5 days. I see they have an unlimited day trip pass on MRT for 150 Baht. Then there is the single journey which can be 40 baht one way.

So just wanted to know if the unlimited travel pass is the way to go or if there is another option that could be better.

Will probably use this train couple of times in a day.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
MRT
MRT
2,255 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
144 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

Were there a few weeks back and paid each trip, was easy to do and generally cheaper unless you are taking four or more trips that day....

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,242 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

It all depends on how much you want to travel. I believe that MRT refers to the underground. One day tickets for the Skytrain cost 120 baht and are worthwhile. Aside from saving you money provided you travel a lot, it saves you the inconvience of waiting in line to buy tickets for each journey.

Mentioned in this post
MRT
MRT
2,255 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
JHB
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

You are right. I meant BTS :-)

I always get them mixed up. Anyway thanks. I was getting confused because if you do just one return trip with the fare being 40 baht one way it adds up to 80 baht just for one return trip. And yet for 40 Baht more you get unlimited travel.

But was also just double checking they don't have a 5 day pass sort of thing like Sydney and London have I think.

Thanks for the help :-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

bts.co.th/customer/en/01-ticketing-type-sing…

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

40 baht is the MAXIMUM amount a ride can cost on the BTS. So if you're really going, say, from Saphan Taksin to Mo Chit or Victory Monument to On Nut several times a day, then it's worth it.

But if you're going from Nana to Siam (20 baht), then from Siam to Sala Daeng (20 baht), and back to Nana (25 baht) you're going to be losing out. Personally I get a stored value card, what the BTS calls a SmartPass. I put 200 baht on it, and that tends to last about 3 days of fairly heavy trucking around. If I actually have a day on which I anticipate multiple lengthy trips on the BTS, I buy a 1-day pass for that day. The stored value card is equally as convenient as the day-pass in terms of not having to line up to pay each individual trip, but you only pay for what you actually use. (If there's a balance, you can keep it for your next trip.)

Note that most of the top tourist attractions (temples, Grand Palace, Golden Mount) are nowhere near the BTS.

Mentioned in this post
Victory Monument
Victory Monument
572 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Nana Hotel
Nana Hotel
810 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
The Siam
The Siam
741 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
The Grand Palace
The Grand Palace
30,411 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
6. Re: MRT (skytrain) ticket options.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 05:15
;