We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

Hi everyone,

I've read with interest the post below about spending 9 hrs at the airport without leaving. We will be arriving on Nov. 13, at 11:15 pm, and we leave on the early morning (6:40 am) flight to Chiang Mai with Air Asia.

Our plan was to just spend the night at the airport. Hopefully our 4 kids will be able to sleep on the hard benches, or leaning on one another (and perhaps us too). We don't think it is worth it to leave the airport in the middle of the night, and the cost for the lounge is just way too expensive for 6 of us. We will also be very jet-lagged, with a 12 hr difference, so it will feel like midday to us. I hope that we can all sleep on our flight from Tokyo to Bangkok, so that we aren't too tired.

Does this plan sound like it can work? Is anything open (restaurants, stores...) during the night at the airport? We will have books, school work, activity books, iPods, etc. to keep us entertained, if we are unable to sleep, but hopefully we can also walk around and see and do stuff.

Do you have any other suggestions for us? Do you think it would be worth trying to get to a hotel for only 4 hrs (if we consider customs, money exchange, getting back in time for our morning flight)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Denise

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

It's not something I'd subject myself to, especially if you've just stepped off a long haul flight. There are many good (cheap) hotel options in the general vicinity (that offer transfers at a fair price if you don't want to deal with taxi's).

Take a look at this recent list for some idea's of what's available;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k286…

For well under $100 (two rooms) the hot shower and a peaceful place to rest for a few hours, has got to be good value for money.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

Well slightly less time than the other post and 4 kids as well(you're brave!)Not sure if the shops and restaurants are open all night on the lower ground floor,but you will have plenty of time to find out!By the time you clear immigration etc.. that should use up an hour or so(mid-nightish).A couple of laps of the terminal(1/2 an hour)a cup of coffee(1a.m. ish by now)so I'd say on this occasion stay put,but I wouldn't plan on making a habit of it!Just a victim of circumstances the timing of your arrival,but not worth booking in a hotel for 4 hours I'd say!

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

There is a website called sleepinginairportsdotcom, google with find it. Lets you know all the comfortable nooks and crannies. And whats open and closed.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

It's quite ok to post the actual link naej;

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

Nooks and crannies at Bangkok airport?Nuts and bolts mostly!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,171 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

Get a hotel. Look at my list, link posted above, there are lots of budget hotels 10 minutes from the terminal, which offer back and forth transport.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

Fourb2 I am not that comp literate to put in links, google is my best friend gets me everything I need to know.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
123 reviews
8. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

No worries naej - I thought you were just being cautious.

And you're right, there's not very much you can't ask google.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,821 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

Hi,

I can say that I've spent my share of nights sleeping in airports due to lack of space (I fly as a stand-by only) so, to an extent, I *know* how to do it..

Can you do it at BKK? Absolutely yes.

That said, one nice thing about BKK airport- that not many major airports share- is that there are a number of very close "airport" hotels that you can get a simple overnight room for not much money..

Do look at the link and list of hotels listed.. You can find some hotels that offer discounted room rates, in some cases for less than US$40 per night-- some even include transportation to/from and a morning meal.. Obviously with such a large group, 2 rooms will most likely be in order, but this is still a relative bargain when you compare to other cities.. Plus, nothing beats a good nights rest in a proper bed and a hot shower in the morning.

Bangkok is not one of the places where very expensive prices make short-term stays at a hotel cost prohibitive..

If you do elect to stay and camp out at the airport, the 3rd floor is best, but do ask the janitorial staff when/if the floor cleaners come-- if they do they will "move" out everyone from selected sections while they clean/polish/wax the floors.

The arrivals area is very busy well into the night hours and into the early morning hours-- by 5:00AM the departures level is already brisk as the first morning departures are checking-in. So, don't expect a silent airport experience by any means.

Travel Safe,

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Spending the night at BBK airport with my family of 6???

HI

have you seen the Chevy Chase movies "vacation"

Your family will just love you that much more for makeing them stay over night at airport.

I have stayed overnight to catch early morning flight

my flight arrived at 11:55 by the time I got thru customs got my bags and got a bite to eat it was only

1 AM so I stayed in resturant playing on my laptop until they kicked me out 2:30 when they closed.

Bangkok is one of the worst airports for overnighting. If you are transiting and stay in transit area not that bad.

but you have to leave transit and enter thailand

"go thru customs and immigration" once you are in main departure area' there is really nothing.

a few coffe shops and resturants they close around 2 or 3 AM. only metal benches and hard tile floor and it is cold inside.

there is an observation 2nd floor that has some carpet.

good luck

how old are your kids ?