We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinag Rai or Chinag Khong

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Chinag Rai or Chinag Khong

Hi,

I'm going on a cruise from Houayxai and wondered if it's better to spend the night before in Chiang Rai or Chiang Khong.

CK is obviously closer but CR seems to have more going on.

Opinions?

Thanks!!

Apologies for atrocious spellings! Can't believe I made the same mistake twice.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 11:00
lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinag Rai or Chinag Khong

Hi,

You'll enjoy the cruise, it's a great way to spend a couple of days floating down the Mekong.

Chiang Rai has a lot more going on than Chiang Khong. Having said that as you have to start doing the immigration and border crossing around 7am to get over to Huay Xai in time for the boats departure you'd have to be up very early if you stay in Chiang Rai. Some boats do leave later but the bulk leave around 9ish. The road trip takes 2-3 hours from CR to CK.

Chiang Khong has a few decent hotels, some restaurants and a nice setting on the Mekong so quite a nice place to spend the evening.

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinag Rai or Chinag Khong

Many thanks for your reply. It does seem more sensible to stay in CK to avoid a really early start. If I stay in CR I'll get stressed about being late and missing the boat!

The cruise sounds amazing - I cannot wait.

3. Re: Chinag Rai or Chinag Khong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:42