We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alishan

Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alishan

Hi,

Is Alishan do-able with a day trip from Taipei ?

If so, any recommendation of a good tour agency ?

If not, is a one night stay at Alishan sufficient ?

Besides the forest train, what can I do at Alishan ?

Thanks !

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
8,754 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alishan

It would be very rush to do a day trip to Alishan from Taipei. A direct bus travelling time takes at least 6 hrs. The Alishan forest train ride takes about a hour longer than the bus uphill from Chiayi. Most travelers include a trip to Alishan when visiting southern or central Taiwan. Many travelers stay a night in Alishan to view the beautiful sunrise the next morning. Alishan can be easily explored on your own without the need for a tour guide.

Some minsu (homestay) owners conduct guided tours around Alishan (from 2 hrs to 2 or 3-days package).

Small Swiss Homestay (Jane-su Homestay) located midway up Alishan

No 6-6 Shihjhuo, Jhong-he village, Juci township, Alishan

http://www.smallswiss.com.tw

Alishan National Scenic Area: http://www.ali.org.tw/english/00home/home.php (In English)

ali.org.tw/chinese/03event/02news_view.php… (In Chinese)

Places to explore in Alishan include:

Botanical Garden, Sisters Pond, Three Generation Tree, 3,000 year-old sacred Cypress tree, Jhushan sunrise and sunset – Sea of clouds (depending on the weather), Alishan Police Station, Alishan Guest House and Alishan Work Station are considered best spots to view cherry blossoms (Jan to mid April) and

Tze Yun Temple.

Please read earlier post on forest train ride up Alishan: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293910-i9303-k222…

Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alishan

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry, but I have a couple more queries.

1. I'm coming from Taipei on the Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR). May I know how far is the THSR station to the Alishan Forest Railway station ? How should I get there ? I'm trying to catch the 8am THSR and reaching Chiayi at about 9.35am. According to the Alishan Forest Rail schedule, there's only 9am and 10am trains from Chiayi. So I'm trying to catch the 10am one. So, 25 min sufficient to transfer between the stations ?

2. I want to catch the Jhushan sunrise. So, do I stay in Jhushan ? Or where should I stay to make sure I can catch the sunrise, and hopefully without much travelling in the dark ? 8-P Besides the minsu, are there any hotels I can checked into in Jhushan or the suggested areas ?

Thanks again !

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,754 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alishan

Chiayi HSR Station is about 14 km from Chiayi Railway Station where the Alishan forest rail trains depart to Alishan. The shuttle bus ride takes about 30 ~ 35 mins. Fare: NT$45

Chiayi Bus Rapid Transit (BRT): thsrc.com.tw/download/tw/file/busroute_08012…

Please read earlier post on forest train from Chiayi to Alishan currently out of service: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293910-i9303-k222…

The forest rail train currently in service departs Chiayi at 0900 and 1000 hrs to Fenchihu only.

Uphill by bus:

Buses depart Chiayi Bus Station (on right side of Chiayi Railway Station exit) at 0610, 0810, 1210 and 1410 hrs for Alishan. Fare: NT$214 Travel time: About 2.5 hrs. There is an extra bus at 1010 hrs on Sat, Sun and public holidays and makes a stop at Fenchihu before proceeding to Alishan.

Chiayi Bus: http://citybus.cyhg.gov.tw/linemap/b24.htm

From Alishan Station > Jhushan to watch sunrise (阿里山←→祝山車站):

You can stay in a minsu around Alishan Station. Well before the sun rises, purchase a train ticket to Jhushan Observation Deck (The Jhushan Railway) at Alishan Tourist Service Center. Fare: Adult -- NT$100 (one-way) NT$150 (return), Child – NT$50 (one-way) NT$75 (return) Travel time: About 20 mins.

Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Alishan

Hi,

I read about the post on the service availability of the Forest Railway, stopping Fengchihu.

But when I visited the news on the Hungtu website, seems like the railway is currently available from Chiayi to Jhushan.

So quite confused now...

Am thinking of getting the SmallSwiss package you mentioned earlier, and written to Charles. But he has not replied me yet.

Any idea if the package is available for one person ? I'll be travelling alone. And if you happened to know the cost for one person ? If one person, will I have to share the room with others, or can I have the room myself ?

Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,754 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alishan

The Alishan forest train service is from Chiayi to Fenchihu and Alishan. Another forest train serves the Alishan to Jhushan route (The Jhushan Railway). I could not find the web-page you mentioned on forest rail currently available from Chiayi to Jhushan.

Check Small Swiss Homestay (Jane-su Homestay) website on guided tour package details and pricing.

…so-buy.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml…

Accommodations including minsu (homestay) are usually priced for 2 persons or more. Some but few minsus have dormitory-style accommodation. Minsu owner may charge slightly lower room rate for a single person occupying a 2-persons room during off-peak / season periods on weekdays and non-public holidays.

Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alishan

Hi,

Charles just replied that he will be going away for holidays from 20 to 26 Sep, which, sadly, coincide with the period I intended to visit.

Any other similar ones to recommend ? Especially one that can pick me up from Chiayi train station, bring me round Alishan, and get me some sunrise, and send me down to Chiayi via the forest train ? 8-P

Thanks ! You have been a great help !

Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alishan

Any good minsu at Alishan? i found less discussion abt this topic than minsu at SML or Hualien.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,754 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alishan

Xian Yun Minsu (阿里山民宿閒雲居) located midway up Alishan

嘉義縣阿里山鄉樂野村8鄰(福山)210號

http://xianyun.ho.net.tw

Xin Xin Minsu (欣欣民宿) – A minsu popular with forumers. Close proximity to Alishan Railway Station (2 mins walk away).

嘉義縣阿里山鄉中正村24號

http://chin.mmmtravel.com.tw/

9. Re: Alishan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 00:19