We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Kathmandu in June

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
First time to Kathmandu in June

Hi all, I'm planning to go ktm in early June this year for about 8 days. I know this is the monsoon time but unfortunately this is the only time I have take off. I have a couple of qns and hope you guys can help.

1. How "bad" is the monsoon season? Possible to do some easy trek in this period?

2. Hoping to go to ebc. How can i travel fm ktm to ebc? Trek or road trip? And how long will this take?

4. I trying to get more time off and got to Lhasa fm ktm. Would it be easier to go ebc fm Lhasa instead?

5. Planning to stay in Shechen guesthouse. Anyone stay there recently and care to share exp?

Thanks all!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

Hello

1. June usually has plenty of rain but it is not the wettest month. Trekking can still be enjoyable if you are prepared for the rain both mentally and with the right gear. A popular short trek is Poon Hill in the Annapurna region near Pokhara but it does get more rain than Kathmandu and the valley. There are short trek options startin from Sundarijal for example.

weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rain…

2. EBC takes a standard 2 weeks flying in and out of Lukla so you do not have enough time.

4. It is easier to get to EBC on the Tibet side because it's essentially a road trip. There are trips takin about a week from KTM. The best option will be to fly in to Lhasa with a road trip south to EBC then back to Nepal. It's possible to to do the road journey with a side trip to EBC, on t Lhasa and fly back to KTM but this option has serious AMS risks unless pre-acclimatised.

5. I stayed at Schechen for 3 weeks in late 2010. Comfortable and clean rooms, excellent food, quiet because it's a few minutes away from the Stupa and main rad though with barking dogs at night (almost unavoidable wherever you stay. A ood value and peaceful option.

scoodly

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

Thanks scoodly!

I'm gg to do more research on ebc now given the limited time I have. Plus I read thr the forums and there are so many places to see in Nepal itself.

Quick qn on the ebc route. Sorry if i didnt get this right. I thought i would have to be concern abt AMS if i do direct ktm to ebc? If i fly to Lhasa stay for two days and then a road trip to ebc and then fly back ktm, would it be better?

Thanks again!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

Hello

KTM isn't very high at 1400m. Tibet EBC is about 5300m and can be reached by road too quickly. I understand a traveller died of AMS on a KTM-EBC-Lhasa trip. If going to Tibet EBC it's much safer to fly to Lhasa.

But, as you say, Nepal has more than enough to see and do.

scoodly

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,710 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

The route to go to ebc is not so direct, You will need some days to reach rongpuk from kathmandu by car, In any case I advise you not to go there directly. It's better you take a flight from Ktm to Lhasa, stay there some days to acclimatize, then move towards EBC (it's 3days bay car). To know something more about AMS risks you can read here:

www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tutorial.htm

namaste

Rongpuk

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

Monsoon season is not the best time to visit Nepal, especially if you want to do some trekking. If EBC (and Everest) is important for you, then jump to Lhasa and start from there taking the land trip (may be even skip Nepal).

The land trip Lhasa- to North EBC will take you about 3 days (visiting attractions on the way). Normally from N-EBC you should continue down to Nepali border crossing Himalayas along the Sun Kosi Gorge to get back to Kathmandu.

But because the upper part of the road on the Nepali side (Arniko Highway) is a muddy, narrow, half-collapsed and prone to landslides path, from time to time it may be closed to traffic for few days depending on the situation. In other words this is a highly risky scenario that your plane will take off without you.

Anyhow, this is the world’s most dangerous road and monsoon makes it only worse…(if it can be worse…)

So you may have to go back to Lhasa and fly back to Kathmandu, or make an arrangement to fly back home from Lhasa.

Regarding AMS – unfortunately there is no easy way to predict your reaction to this effect. It is very individual and even healthy people may suffer.

From Lhasa at about 11,800 ft (3600m) above the sea level you will have to cross passes at more than 16,400 ft (5000 m) along the Friendship Highway and face 18,000 ft (5500m) at N-EBC. Spending 2 days in Lhasa will give you time for acclimatization. So crucial is your flight to Lhasa….

AMS has two “components” – low oxygen (here 2 days of acclimatization in Lhasa will help, plus some drugs (check with your doctor). The second part of the AMS’s equation is the sudden change of pressure that your organism may be not able to follow.

If the change of pressure happens too fast, the human organism may not have enough of time to “equalize” the internal pressure in capillaries (especially lungs and brain). That can cause some dangerous internal leaks and fluids build-ups. And this is the dangerous part of AMS.

Certainly plane trip to Lhasa does not help here but hey, hundreds of thousands of tourists are visiting Tibet every year! Most of them fly to Lhasa, so be cautious but there is no reason to panic!

Travel safely

Tom

amazing-world-in-free-stock-pictures-and-pho…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

wow! thanks guys! that's a whole lot of useful information.

now i am rethinking my routes. i definitely want to spend as many days as i could in ktm. does places like bhaktapur, boudhanath, etc be effected by the rainy season?

it looks like if i want to do ebc, i need more time to fly to lhasa-ebc-lhasa. will probably need to post my qns on lhasa on the side of the forum though.

thanks!

kathmandu
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

Hi Travelcotter,

Namaste,

You don need to worry about the monson that much in kathmandu or other palce around,

It wont be raining all the time ,if it is rain there there will be for few hours and it will be cool

so you will not have any problem to explore around,and for flying to Lhasa it is about 3 hours flight from kathmandu and June is the best time to visit there it is less cold then other time of the year plus there is not big rain ,Lhasa is rainsadow area ..

Have fun with your trip

Hotel Family home

Kathmandu

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

hi guys, done some research and i'm overwhelmed with the load of info..

need some advice on what kind of treks i can do with 7/8 days in Nepal during the monsoon period? this will mean i have to skip the Lhasa-EBC bit but i am weighing all the options now. i saw a post on Tilicho Lake Trek but that will take more than 10 days which i dont have the time.

Thanks!

9. Re: First time to Kathmandu in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:42