We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Jersey,Channel...
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Hello Fellow TA's

I am in the initial stages of planning a 2 week trip to Uganda in Jan. 2013.

It would appear the majority of the 'must see's' are roughly grouped together with the exception of Murchison Falls National Park which appears to be quite a distance North from the rest?

On the basis that we will be visiting Queen Elizabeth National Park is it worth making the effort to go to Murchison ?

Will there be wildlife that we would not see at QE?

Will it take a day's travel to get there and back?

Don't want to try and cram too much in at the expense of really appreciating other areas.

As always any comments/guidance for those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

COB21

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Well thought out.

You are right, Murchison is a bit out on a limb and if, like me, you would rather savour the other places slowly, then I would agree you could leave it out. (for this visit, you will be back!)

there is no doubt it is different up there, hotter too, with the unusual landscape of Doum palm instead of the usual Acacia of Mburu and further East.

QENP is rank with Euphorbia candelabra ( a large cactus).

The wildlife in Murchison is also different. This is the only accessible NP with Giraffe. There are also Jackson's Hartebeeste and Oribi and rumours of Cheetah.

It is not an easy decision to make so I will leave it to you. Do you think you will return to Uganda?

Travel between Murchison will take the best part of a day, 7 hours from QENP. But you can return direct to Kampala by the Gulu road at the east of the Park.

It can be done, lots do it, but I would not. With three nights minimum in each of the other 'must see' spots there is simply not time.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
523 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Not to miss the amazing water falls and boat ride at the bottom of Murchison falls.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Boat ride at Kazinga QENP can be just as interesting. There is just not time to do Murchison justice.

Kampala
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Giraffe and the falls you will miss them.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Hello COB

Seeing as you are in your initial planning stages, please can you share your approximate days/thoughts of where to go, and whether you have any degree of flexibility in adding days?

Dependent on that factor, it would be a real pity to miss MFNP. I would stay less in QE, and more in MFNP, if I had the time; and you can see rhinos on the way back.

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

consider it on your itinerary. Good not to miss the top of the falls plus the game drive on the delta tracks

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

To shoot two birds with one stone , I advise that you add visiting Murchison falls NP on your itinerary even if you are visiting Queen Eliazbeth NP . It is worth a visit with so many unique features and animals that you may not even find in Queen Elizabeth NP. The other reason is that if you add the two big savannah wildlife Parks in the South west and North western part of Uganda , you will have an two opportunities of game viewing which is advantageous in a way that if you miss out some thing in QUeen Elizabeth NP which is in Murchison falls NP , you may find it in Murchison falls NP. That Is why I suggest that if you have the time , just visit the two national parks on the same tour. You can also break the distance between the two parks by having an over night in Hoima . The other reason why I suggest that you should visit the two parks is that much as they have similar activities, the features are incomparable. E.g MFNP has the magificent falls and a boat cruise to the falls exposes you to Large Nile Crocodiles which you may not find in QENP . Whereas the Boat ride Along the Kazinga channel exposes you to so many bird species and Hipos which are amazing to watch while they Yawn! So the choice is yours but a combination of both is the best Idea IMHO.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 08:15
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

The Poster has two weeks, They wish to spend some time at each of the "must sees" in SWest. This suggests to me that three nights at each venue is a minimum. That in turn suggests 4 locations only. (12 nights).

The OP also writes <Don't want to try and cram too much in at the expense of really appreciating other areas.>

So with their wishes in mind I do not think it worth while to track all the way up to Paraa which will involve a days drive UP and another down. That will use up four days.

I do know Murchison NP is a wonderful place. I go there regularly BUT I would not simply push people to go there at any cost just because it is nice. That way you are risking spoiling a holiday " by cramming in too much" which the OP has specifically stated, above, that they do not want to do!

Do please read the Posters brief and make suggestions based on their specific requirements.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

Thanks Barrister Mfuwe. But the question was about whether to visit Murchison falls Np and Queen E. NP at ago or NOt. I just gave my own opinion. You are entitled to your too.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 13:22
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Murchison Falls National Park to go or not to go?

So very true but have you the best interests of the client in mind by committing them to a rushed safari of 14 days? Uganda is like a fine wine or beautiful lady.

Both are best enjoyed at a slower pace.