We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hospital list

Kolding, Denmark
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hospital list

Does anyone here know about the st Francis Hospital in Enugu, Nigeria?

My girlfriend from Enugu tells me that she had malaria and typhoid and it should be caused by an infection in her appendix. I just wonder if that could be true. She also told me that she bought some pills for these diseases, which were only a few pills. the price was very big, so i were also doubting it. Like $50. She explained to me that it was because she took only a few and didn´t buy the whole package. That sounds crazy to me.

Later she told me that she should be operated in the hosoital in Enugu, but couldn´t because of the strike. The doctor then told her that she could be operated in his private clinic, at st Francis Hospital. she went there a few days after and got operated for her appendix. Then I asked her for some photoes and she sent me some photoes of her lying down and showing the wound. but it is difficult to see if it is her, when i look at her face, because of the angle the picture is taken, Now i have asked her again to take one more picture, so i can see her face together with the shirt she was wearing.

she also came home the day after the operation which i think is very fast. but she said she couldn´t afford to stay there but was assigned a nurse to visit her daily.

I checked st francis hospital in Enugu and I can only find it on google maps and short description..no telphone number!. it is written that it is an orthopedic hospital, so how can they make a apendix surgery there? Is there any private clinic there or is it private?

any views on this? for example about prices and the hospital

(she also claims to have lost her whole family in a car crash and had been in malaysia, where her father were from. She is now waiting for the payment of the will and that her webcam was boken and she had sold her cellphone and is now broke. just waiting for the will to be paid out.)

Mentioned in this post
Enugu
Enugu
Enugu State, Nigeria
Fela Kuti Private Tour
from US$70.00*
Free Cancellation
La Campagne Tropicana Private Beach...
from US$72.50*
Free Cancellation
Lekki Conservation Centre Private...
2 Reviews
from US$84.00*
Free Cancellation
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,379 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hospital list

I think you already suspect you are being scammed. You have been trying to get verification and the scammer is trying to get around it.

Read www.romancescams.org

Kolding, Denmark
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hospital list

yes, i am very suspicious, She´s just good in going around it, if that is what she is doing. As i have said earlier, i asked her for photoes of her after the operation. Then she sent me some, but i couldn´t see if it was really her. then i asked her for more photoes, and she also send me them and it looks like her now. She wears the same shirt and jeweleries as on the first photoes with her wound, but now has cotton and "patch" to cover the scar. So maybe she know the person with the shirt and lended it from her to take the second series of photoes.. I don´t know.

i have also asked her to bring some copies of her passport pages with stamps, because she said that she had travelled from malaysia, after I met her on the net (netlog.com) I want to confirm that story too, But she says she lended some money from a woman who took her passport as a collateral and will first be back in town after the 23rd january.

So now, i try to get some more strong knowledge or evidence to decide if she is a scammer or just a very unfortunate person. The way she talks is very confident, so it makes me unsure,

But not to forget my previous post, where i describe the hospital situation, i would like to hear if somebody has local knowledge about prices of medicine or that particular hospital, st Francis hospital in Enugu. Any comments are appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Enugu
Enugu
Enugu State, Nigeria
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hospital list

The "official" hospital list is here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293824-i9115-k264…

But seriously, you KNOW you're being scammed. She's not a "very unfortunate" person, and no sensible woman would give their passport as collateral for a loan. If she's a foreign national, she can go to her embassy in times of trouble, and if she's Nigerian, just about everyone has at least ONE relative somewhere they can go to when they're in serious trouble.

And I've never heard of anyone going home the day after an appendectomy, much less having a nurse check on them daily unless they're flush with cash.

tl;dr she's a scammer

Kolding, Denmark
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hospital list

She is nigerian.

Yes, you are right! I just wanted proof. When you are getting emotionally blackmailed, you don´t want to to put anyone in trouble just because you don´t help, if it is possible. But you are very right, You have to be very cool about these types of situations, with or without proof. Something is not always to get a real bulletproof answer to.

I finally went to a nearby hospital and showed the picture of the scar to some nurses and surgeons and they also said that the scar looks older than the two days, which she had pretended it to be. It looked more than 14 days old. Especially because it looked too little swollen and too much healed. So I took the decision to write to her that i don´t trust her anymore and i don´t help her anymore. Since then i didn´t get any mail or see her online and no sms. So i think they gave up! or maybe just trying to create a new story..lol!

Thanks for your support :) I hope others can use this example to to be cool about these dirty and cowardly tricks they are using which can make big harm too many people. I don´t understand how people can think it´s ok to do that...as if we had an insurance to help us out even we loose some money and as if money was the only issue here.They harm peoples confidence as well and thereby their lives in general.

Another thing, if someone get´s an e mail from someone you don´t really know, allways check the e mail header in the opened e mail and look for the ip of the sender. In yahoo, It looks like this: "Received: from [41.220.69.54]"

It´s normally the last ip you can find in the header. Then copy the number and look in an ip finder program as for example http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup.

Trust it! If it comes from another country as being shown or told, then take it as scam!

Also be sure to have webcam contact with the persons you talk to many, many times. Scammers can help each other and you can´t be sure if you one day talk to a woman or man and the other day you are talking with a another person, who scams together with that woman or man.

Just my experience ;)

5. Re: Hospital list

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 10:32
Get answers to your questions about Nigeria