We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus port louis to Belle Mare

brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
53 reviews
bus port louis to Belle Mare

We are in Port Louis for one day on a cruise ship. (7am to 6pm). We were wondering if it is feasible to get the #236 bus from Port Louis to Belle Mare public beach?

If we did, would we see a bit of the island on the way, and is it a nice beach being a public beach?

Can anyone suggest a better option- (we don't really want to hire a car and are not keen on group tours).

If safe and reliable we love to try public transport and do our own thing....but we know nothing of Maritius.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47,188 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

7am to 6pm is not a long time and it's quite a distance from Port Louis to Belle Mare by bus.

Buses are not the most comfortable mode of transport especially for long distance - boneshakers springs to mind. It will take an hour there and an hour back and its not particularly scenic.

http://www.mauritius-buses.com/line/236/

Also buses here have a poor safety record with a high proportion of accidents involving buses.

Much better to hire a taxi for a sightseeing trip.

A lot of posters have hired this company to meet them directly off a cruise ship and been happy (I and Mazza use them regularly for airport transfers and they are an excellent company)

taxismauritius.com/tours_mauritius_excursion…

If you should still wish to use the bus I would look at one which plies the north west coast as it will take less time.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
2. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

You have a time constraint being on a cruise ship and quite honestly I wouldn't risk taking the bus and not being back before the ship sails.

Like you I am not keen on tours and when on cruises we try to do our own thing wherever possible. Why not hire a taxi and driver for the day, that way you have the flexibility to do what you wish.

Ordinary taxis are not permitted to enter the port but this company which we have used for airport to hotel transfers is one I will recommend, Bronia uses them regularly and a recent poster on this forum also used them when on a cruise.

http://www.taxismauritius.com/

Be aware that if you dock at 7am you might not be able to leave the ship straight away.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
3. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

Bronia, our posts crossed :)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47,188 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

Haha Maz! Great minds and all that ;)

Another practicality to consider is rush hour traffic in Port Louis.

The buses will be heaving with commuters right up until 10am leaving Port Louis and you might very well have to stand for part of the journey which to say the least would be very uncomfortable,

If you get a taxi for say 9.30am the traffic is still bad but if you head north its much better leaving PL as you wont have to traverse the centre of Port Louis. Just a thought.

brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

Thanks for the prompt response. I guess I will forget the bus. If we did hire a taxi would you recommend the Black River Gorge?

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
6. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

Yes I would but it won't take up the whole day unless you go hiking so I would try to incorporate other places such as Grand Bassin, Chamarel, Alexandra Falls or anything else which appeals.

Have you decided to give the beach a miss? If you go south then Flic en Flac would be ideal for a few hours. If you go north then there's Choisy or Anse le Raie, you could always stop off at the lovely red roofed church at Cap Malheureux it's in a beautiful location.

England, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
284 reviews
7. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

We have just got back from a cruise which stopped at Mauritius and were fortunate enough to have stayed on the island the year before. It's easy to walk from the port to the bus terminal but it takes about 30 minutes, passing through the Caudan centre and along the harbour front. We took the bus to Trou aux Biches which is a lovely beach and is much closer to Port Louis, also the buses run frequently so we had no problem getting there and back.

If you take the option of a taxi be sure to arrange it with the suggested taxi company because the port taxis are very expensive. If you took the taxi you could tour up to Cap Malheureux wich as Massa says is a beautiful location and then come down the coast looking at the other beaches, Mont Choisy is a lovely beach, and then return to Port Lous, maybe asking your driver to stop at Fort Adelaide for panoramic views over Port Louis down to the harbour.

Alternatively, you could bus to Trou aux Biches, pick up a taxi to Cap Malheureux, return to the Trou aux Biches to spend time on the beach before catching the bus back.

Edited: 02 December 2015, 11:14
8. Re: bus port louis to Belle Mare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2018, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Port Louis