We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tien Tan Chinese Pagoda - Port Louis

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
133 reviews
Tien Tan Chinese Pagoda – Port Louis

Our cruise ship has a tour to religious buildings, including the Tien Tan, ( Thien Thane), Chinese Pagoda, where a tea tasting takes place.

This sounds interesting, but we do not want to be tripped, nor pay the high price charged, so can we go to here independently? I cannot find any reference to it in our guide book or even on Trip Advisor.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 10:07
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47,167 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Tien Tan Chinese Pagoda – Port Louis

I have two Chinese Pagodas mentioned in my Insight Guide to Mauritius Reunion and Seychelles.

One is the one you mention and another the Kwan Tee Pagoda which is the oldest Chinese temple is on the roundabout south of Caudan waterfront.

Thien Thane is in the foothills of Signal mountain on the south east of PL

You could get a taxi?

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
133 reviews
2. Re: Tien Tan Chinese Pagoda – Port Louis

Thank you very much for the very speedy reply.

We were thinking a taxi would be needed but had hoped to find some sort of opening hours on the net, or at least information on whether one can enter the building, or if it would just be an outside visit, but I could not find anything.

It looks quite a striking building in a lovely location, so would be nice to got there. We are wondering if it would be worth going there, and perhaps to a couple of other more distant sites in Port Louis, by a short taxi tour. We will only have one day in Port Louis though, which is when the ship is docked, so taxis may be busy. Can I ask your opinion of this or if you think there will be better things to do in Port Louis?

The next day we will transfer to a hotel on the East of Mauritius.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 10:35
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47,167 posts
132 reviews
3. Re: Tien Tan Chinese Pagoda – Port Louis

I would take a trip up to The Citadel/Fort Adelaide to get great views over the city

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

We had great views from the MarieReine de La Paix monument on the flank of Signal mountain south west of PL. This isn't listed on TA but a google search will bring up articles and photos.

Other things to do in PL:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g2…

Unless you like haggling and hassle avoid Central Market.

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
133 reviews
4. Re: Tien Tan Chinese Pagoda – Port Louis

Thanks for that, much appreciated,

Barbara

5. Re: Tien Tan Chinese Pagoda – Port Louis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2018, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Port Louis