We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone restricitons.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone restricitons.

Going to Lilongwe in ca. 5 weeks' time. Plusnet UK (my contract phoneco) have advised me they do not support roaming at all in Malawi. I have a spare paygo phone (Tesco mobile) and they have told me I can receive incoming calls from UK phones but won't be able to make outgoing calls or use data 'due to Malawian security restrictions'. Elsewhere it has been posted that a local SIM card would take a week to register (so not much use for a two week stay...). Does this all ring true? I'll likely need a functional mobile when I arrive so this is a bit of a problem...any advice welcome!

*restrictions, sorry...

Edited: 09 July 2018, 22:04
Mentioned in this post
Lilongwe
Lilongwe
Central Region, Malawi
Malawi
Malawi
Africa
4 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone restricitons.

Sorry, cant help, I have had no further information on the situation. Knowing how inefficient the Malawian organisation is, Its quite possible that the situation may be unchanged, as it has been postponed at least once already.

As with many things in Malawi, its a case of wait and see.

<<but won't be able to make outgoing calls or use data 'due to Malawian security restrictions'.>>

I think this is BS. or it may be a restriction due to Tesco Mobile piggy backing on one of the major service providers

In my previous post on the subject, I stated that the sim has to be registered within 7 days, and not that the sim will take 7 days, its quire possible that the sim will be activated within a short time.

The situation with regards to visitors was raised in the early days, and its possible that this has been now factored into the regulations, but it will take some actual usage to confirm the situation.

Looks like you may well be the first !

Ivan

Mentioned in this post
Malawi
Malawi
Africa
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone restricitons.

Many thanks for the quick follow-up. "Looks like you may well be the first !" Eeeek! Somewhat unnerving but I'll guess I'll have to fly by the seat of my pants when I get there. If a local SIM can be up and running in a day or so, that might do the trick... Thanks again.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone restricitons.

You can buy a Malawian SIMcard without having to register it. It's all prepaid. You buy a SIMcard at Airtel for 500 MKW and airtime with it. You can buy different internet bundles (daily, weekly or monthly expiry). You will find an Airtel shop at arrivals in Lilongwe.

Have a great time in Malawi!

Mentioned in this post
Lilongwe
Lilongwe
Central Region, Malawi
Malawi
Malawi
Africa
UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone restricitons.

Any news on this? I'll be arriving on 1st Sept, and absolutely must be contactable due to family illness back home.

According to this, every new SIM bought after July 1st would need registering straight away (while existing SIM card owners have until the end Sept). But this was written before then, so I don't know if that went ahead.

https:/…

Reply to: Mobile phone restricitons.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted