We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic flights in Madagascar

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

Hello,

I have only seen very bad reviews of domestic flights in Madagascar. Are they as really that unreliable?

Apart from being expensive, is it really not recommended to fly with the country and travel by road?

Is it better and cheaper to book flight once we arrive into Antananarivo?

Lastly, what are the airlines that operate within the country?

Thank you

Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

I am planning a trip in the fall, and while i have zero experience with the reliability of the flights, i can tell you why i bought domestic flights for my trip. it is very expensive - a round trip from the capital to morondava was about $650 US. the only reason i'm doing it is because i'm short on time. from what i've read, the infrastructure in mada is challenging, so a trip that would normally take you a couple hours to drive at home may take you 24-48 hours at best. you'd probably have to hire a driver or take a taxi-brousse (which actually sounds fun / like an adventure), but i just didn't have the time to do it. air madagascar is the only airline i could find. hope this helps a little!

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

I also don't have a lot of experience, but I recently flew from Ifaty to Tana on Air Madagascar. It cost $200+ and while I keep reading how unreliable they are they were right on time, no problems.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

I've also used Air Madagascar to fly from Tana to Morondava. The flight was fine and it was pretty cool to see the baobabs from the air. Although it was pricey, it meant we could see far more, which also has quite a bit of value. We booked when we were arrived, as we weren't sure where we wanted to go. It was pretty easy to do in Tana.

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
88 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

tsaradia.com is the new domestic carrier (it's a subsidiary of Air Madagascar) and they have restructured pricing and they now have some very reasonable deals.

There is also Madagasikara Airways https://madagasikaraairways.aerocrs.net

Lisbon
Level Contributor
53 posts
5. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

Thanks for the info Dadamanga…

The rates are much cheaper than in other domestic carriers.

Have you flown with them? Are they reliable?

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
88 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

I flew with them three times last week and two of the three flights were late departing. It is still Air Madagascar, just with more planes and a new name.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
53 posts
7. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

Ok thank you!

Do you know if it is possible to pay the tickets with credit card or Paypal?

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
88 reviews
63 helpful votes
8. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

By credit card on their website should be fine. If you want to buy in an Air Mad shopfront, you can pay by card.

Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

Is it true that it is cheaper to book flight when you're in Madagascar rather than when you book them for a foreign country?

Edited: 2 years ago
Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
88 reviews
63 helpful votes
10. Re: Domestic flights in Madagascar
Save

Yes it is marginally true.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.