We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

I'm traveling to Ethiopia 15 of march, will 13 days be enough to discover Danakil, Semien mountains, Lalibela and omo valley? Any tour recomandation, please. Also I would like to bring my drone; any laws about useing one?

40 replies to this topic
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Don't pack all parts of the drone in one suite case

Bahar Dar, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

you don't need to bring drones , cause you can rent it in Addis Ababa. and you need to have permission and it is prohibited above 100M in the city area but around attractions it depends.

Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

I will not recommend bringing your drone unless you get a permission.

13 days could be enough but may not be relaxing. you need to use both flight and land to the north and south to do so.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

A recent drone capture in Ethiopia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20iBKAfjX8o

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
35. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Hi,

So far Ethiopia does not have a law that allows to bring in or fly drones in the country. If you are unfortunate like me your drone might get seized at the airport but if you are lucky the custems may not notice it so you may fly it I the country at your own risk.

End of 2016 I brought my Phantom 4 with me but the costumes authority in Addis Ababa airport seized it and asked me to get a permit from the National Security Agency (INSA). The officer at the agency told me that I need flight permit and forwarded me to the Ethiopian Civil Aviation. Finally the Civil Aviation Authority told me that the low is in process so at the moment they cannot give permit for drones.

This whole process took two weeks. Since I was staying in Addis for 6 months my last option was to ship the drone back to my address in US so I had to pay for the storage at the airport, 5% tax for costumes and DHL fees in total nearly half of the drone price was paid for the unsuccessful attempt.

But if you are staying in Ethiopia for a very short time and your drone is seized at the airport you can collect it on your return flight.

Having said that I have seen some tourists and locals who manage to smuggle drones through customs and fly them in the county and some friends told me that also as long as you are not flying in sensitive areas (military facility, airports, etc) you can still use the drone one’s it’s in the country but at your own risk.

Good luck

Abebe Kejela

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Hi, Do you know about some law changes about drone photography in Ethiopia up to May 2017? I wish I could take my Phantom 3... Thank you in advance!

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Hi, Do you know if there are law changes up to May 2017 about drone in Ethiopia, especially Phantom 3? Thanks a lot!

2 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Hello habeshaoui im a teacher here in Addis. I would love to bring my dji spark drone to shoot some nice view on this country is it possible.?

2 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Hello habeshaoui im a teacher here in Addis. I would love to bring my dji spark drone to shoot some nice view on this country is it possible.?

1 post
Save Reply
40. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Could you give me phone To rent drone in ethiopia. Mine has been kept by custom.this is an urgent need. Thak you for your help

Reply to: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted