We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

I'm traveling to Ethiopia 15 of march, will 13 days be enough to discover Danakil, Semien mountains, Lalibela and omo valley? Any tour recomandation, please. Also I would like to bring my drone; any laws about useing one?

40 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

13 days not really enough.

Omo min 5

Danakil 4

Simien Trek??

Lalibela min 2 days

Drones???

Dont think you could get it past customs, even if you did and used it you could well be arrested!!

My advice..forget it..

2. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2016, 21:58

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Elan.....it takes more than a full day, by road to get to the Omo area !

Not sure where you are as you profile says you are in Addis......but suggest you get Bradt Guide to Ethiopia 7th edition....eg from Bradt Website. If you ARe in Addis it is on sale in Ghion Hotel Mimis bookshop...shop in entrance area but nearest main restaurant..

Also look at some trip reports on here and on Bradt Ethiopia Updates pages..use index..it calls Omo ... South Omo...

Lagitz is right to say things can be condensed but I honestly would not advise tring everything on your list in 13 days.. Obviously helps to squash things in if you fly.

Assume you aware of 55% discount on domestic flights if you fly in on Ethiopian.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
812 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

13 days for allt those place is n0ot enough. you may try to drope one of the atractions . siemen , dankil or omo . ven by flight and car.

other wise concentrate on the north and leave the south for another time in this way you can visiit the north comfirtable way . your time is enough. if you want to include south you need some days to add.

ddrone dont get into trouble awhat ever your reason it will not matter.

Addis Ababa...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

It depends on which quadcopter model you want to bring to ethiopia. If it's a small one like the DJI Phantom 3 for personal use its ok, you can simply bring it. If it's a big one for jornalist documentary filming purpose though you will need an approval paper from the ministry of communication.

No need to worry about anything (addisadvisor), you maight not need to fly them in big towns like in Addis Ababa, but in tourist sites like semian mountain , Danakil desert, lalibela, and in omo valley feel free to operate your drone. you might see some tribal people strenge to it and some people getting exited to see a small quadcopter flying above them, that's it.

As addisadvisor is incorrect there is no such a law in ethiopia prohibiting photography drones.

As for the 13 days tour, i have inbox you an itinarary. I hope you'll love it.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Delighted to be corrected on this one!

7. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2016, 16:35

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

#7 your continuing personal attacks on another member are unwelcome, unpleasant, and not permitted in any TA Forum.

I have reported your new post today also.

Mon

Addis Ababa...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Eventhough I have Brat 4,5,6 editions, I found it a must to update my self with Brad 7, imagine as a tour guide in a big country like Ethiopia with highest economic growth, where new roads, so many new constractions are taking place, where new international hotels are   emerging, I believe brad 7 is the best wapen everyone in the tourism world must be updated with.

I my self bought it from Mimi's, at the Gion hotel couple of months ago. And I highly recomand it aswell.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?

Isaac, your support for common sense and the motives of this forum are much appreciated.

Reply to: Law on utilization of photography drones in Ethiopia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted