We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Hello,

How safe is the Addis Ababa airport for a 24 year old girl traveling by herself with an overnight layover? My layover is about 5 hours. I will not be leaving the airport. I've been reading other threads and posts online on other sites and it sounds pretty safe but most of them are for men or groups of people traveling together.

Also, I read something about a transit visa..is this only for people leaving the airport or does anyone staying overnight in the airport require this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

175 replies to this topic
O C
Abu Dhabi, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

The airport and the city of addis are very safe so you shouldn't be worried. The usual rules apply as in don't leave your luggage alone, etc. bring a good book to read as there isn't much to do at the airport.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

thereading material is a very good idea...

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

I am coming from Canada a woman alone and going onto JHB will be in Addis for 2 hours, is it safe?

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Assume you mean the airport. Of course absolutely safe. This is the political capital of Africa. Bole International Airport is the biggest hub in East Africa - now bigger than Nairobi. If coming from Toronto you should be on a 777 - the plane with the longest range in the world. To Joburg you should be on a 787 Dreamliner. Ethiopian is the fastest growing airline in Africa. you will be in Terminal 2 for transit - a huge modern building opened in 2003. It has souvenir shops, restaurants, duty free but no newspaper shops...

Ethiopian will probably give you the second boarding card - for Joburg - at Toronto check in but if not you collect it from transit desk in T2. Your luggage will go straight through to Joburg. There are bed type loungers in the departure area of T2 for resting before you go through final security into your gate area.

Kempten
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

HI ... I hope you can inform me.... My wife and me will arrive at addis ababa airport at 20:50 and my connection departure is the next day at 10:40 am. It means I have to overnight at the transit area (around 11-12 hours)..... and we are in budget :(

can we stay at the transit area for 12 hours ? Or we must leave the transit area ?

Are there comfortable seats to lay down?........

is it safe the transit area ?.....

Thanks in advance

Bonn...
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Hey hope you guys can help me, I have a more difficult situation...

I'm planning to take a fligh from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Frankfurt and Ethiopian has a super great price for just a one-way ticket, exactly what I need, the problem is a hangover of 15 hours in Adis Ababa. I would arrive at ADD at 1950 and the flight to FRa would be just the next day at 1100. Do you think its easier to book a hotel near the airport, if there is one, try to come into a lounge or any other option?

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

with such a transit Ethiopian will give you a free hotel room and transport. Check with their San Paulo office..

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

Hi, Looking to travel in February from To to Nairobi through Ethopian airlines. Don't have much experience with these airlines and I'll be pretty much spending a whole day at Addis - arriving at 8 am and leaving at 22.00 !! Pretty long wait! I'm alone - is it safe? How'z Ethopian airlines?

19. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 16:01

20. Re: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 16:20

Reply to: Safety in Addis Ababa airport for overnight layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted