We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Addis Ababa

Port-louis
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Transit in Addis Ababa

I am trying to work out an itinenary for holidays in East Africa and Lebanon in August. One of the best flight deals from East Africa to Lebanon is by Ethiopian airlines via Addis Ababa. It is possible to catch a connecting flight within 2 hours, or transit for about 14 hours (in some cases) for the same price.

I have never been to Ethiopia and I thought it might be interesting to choose the 14 hours transit option (7 am to 9 pm), get a transit visa on arrival and do some sightseeing in Addis Ababa.

Is this feasible?

I note that Ethiopian airlines states that "For passengers whose connecting flight is over 8 and up to 24 hours, interline desk will facilitate a transit visa and hotel accommodation. The airline provides a bus service for transfer to/from hotel layover transit passengers". Seems perfect.

However, I note one person was refused transit visa for same day connecting flight. see tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293790-i9957-k4794…

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to get a transit visa on arrival even if the connecting flight is same day? I was wondering whether perhaps the Ethiopian airlines provision apply only to those whose transit involve an overnight stay as opposed to daytime transit?

343 replies to this topic
Harare
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
321. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

Yes you can get a transit visa on arrival from 40 countries...

Even if your flight is on the same day.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
158 reviews
322. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

I dont understand WHy this post is going on from 2013. I would request that if there is something new to ask that one starts a new post. One cannot read through THOUSANDS of responses.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
84 reviews
323. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

Bianca

Sorry do you mean a transit visa?

What are your arrival and departure times??

Hadera, Israel
Level Contributor
201 posts
218 reviews
324. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

I want to share my experience with Ethiopian. As I wrote, we had a 55 minutes stopover in Addis Ababa, Having been assured, that it's OK, I booked the flights. Our first flight was with stopover of 2.5 hours, flight was delayed and I was thinking with horror about the next one. But it was more than successful!

Exactly at the exit from the plane an attendant was waiting for us, calling "Nairobi" for those who exited. When a small group was formed, we were taken directly to our plane, entering it even before other passengers started to get on board. great service!

1 post
2 reviews
325. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

I will be stopping in Ethiopa and will be in transit for 3 hours, do South African Passport hold need a transit visa?

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
84 reviews
326. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

Transit visas are for those who LEAVE the airport.

They do not require transit visas for the 8 million passengers who transit thru Bole every year, without entering Ethiopia.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
84 reviews
327. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

See

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

1 post
328. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

I am having a 7 hr 10 mins layover at addis ababa on my way to toronto. Do I need to take transit visa in advance or on arrival ?

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
84 reviews
329. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

See 327.….......

1 post
330. Re: Transit in Addis Ababa

I have 7 hrs transit in ethopia airport can i visit my parent waiting outside of gate

Reply to: Transit in Addis Ababa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted