We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

Paris, France
1 post
1 review
Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

If your are looking for a guide in Addis Ababa I highly recommend you Mulugeta (Mulu).

Ethiopia was my first trip alone, and being a girl I was a bit stressed. A friend of mine who already went to Ethiopia, recommended me to contact Mulugeta and I absolutely not regretted it.

Mulugeta literally took care of everything during my stay in Addis. I told him I wanted to have a local experience of the city. He brought me in every cultural places that must be seen in Addis, the touristic ones but also some very typical and local places (most of the time I was the only tourist !). Thanks to him, I had in few days a great insight of the culture and the way of living : drinking bunas (at least twice a day :) ), eating each meal a different type of injera, exploring the dance & music live scene (ethiojazz, azmari ...). As he has a car, I had the chance to explore the countryside of Addis (Debre Zeit, Debre Libanos ...). He also helped me to organize the rest of my trip (Lalibela, Gondar, Mekele, Danakil)

More generally, Mulugeta is very professional and helpful. He speaks well English and has a good knowledge of the city and its country !

If you are looking for an authentic and local experience in Addis, he is your guide ! :)

Here is his contact info :

Mulugeta Derbie Damtie

Email : mu_derbie@yahoo.com

Tel : +251 912080957

8 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

My wife and I also used Mulugeta (Micky) on a number of occasions whilst visiting Ethiopia over an 18 month period.

Micky is a really cool guy. His English is excellent and always arrived on time. He's one of those people whom you can't help but enjoy being around. He takes real pride in his work and makes sure you are always put first. He definitely, on a number of occurrences, went out of his way and beyond what was expected of a tour guide to make sure we had a great time!

Micky took us to a number of locations but the ones which really stood out were: tour of the Mercato (open market), National Museum of Ethiopia, a journey up the Entoto hills and a number of restaurants, bars and shopping areas which we would just never have known about had he not recommended them.

Micky also assisted us with some driving duties as we travelled between Embassies and Government buildings. Micky always worked with a smile, is a safe driver and has great location knowledge.

A top guy whom we whole heartedly recommend! Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Here is his contact info :

Mulugeta Derbie Damtie

Email : mu_derbie@yahoo.com

Tel : +251 912080957

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

Surprised to find this page as I met mulu by accident.

He’s such a great guy! Kind, considerate and so helpful.

He showed me around Bole and and mercato. Very nice to have a local show you around and take you places And give you an authentic experience of the place. He has a car and is a good driver and can take you outside Addis as well.

I recommended a friend who was visiting Addis after me to link up with Mulu and she did. She had an even better time as she had a longer stay than mine and she was very well looked after by Mulu. He singlehandedly shaped both of our trips into very cultural, authentic and pure experiences. I am very grateful for having met him.

If I go back to Addis, I know I’ll have a loyal friend to spend time with.

I would recommend you get in touch with him right away if you’re thinking of going to Ethiopia. Email him on mu_derbie@yahoo.com or more conveniently whasapp him on +251 912080957

Edited: 11 May 2018, 14:38
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

I just asked him. His email has changed lol

The new one is: mulugetaderbie2010@gmail.com

Edited: 11 May 2018, 14:47
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

I already know mulugeta over 12 years. Already before he had his drivers license. Always when i am visiting Addis he is my driver and guide. I feel save and he is a good driver. As others say he keeps his promises and is always there at the time of the appointment. Also when visiting the mercato or other places he takes good care of the peolple and the belongings. His English is very good and he always will try to arrange the things that you ask him in the

best way.

Mulugeta Derbie

Mobile: +251912080957

WhatsApp: +251912080957

Email: mu_derbie@yahoo.com

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

I’ll add myself to the chorus of visitors to Ethiopia who think Mulugeta is a wonderful driver and guide! I contacted him this week while in Addis for work after seeing this thread on Trip Advisor. He responded immediately, and we spent a day and a half together. He drove me to meetings around the city, and when there was time in between he took me to a local coffee/tea stall, the Sholla and Merkato markets, an artisan textile-making place called Sabahar, a delicious restaurant, and more. He told me where to hear great jazz and played me the latest hits of New Ethiopian Music. Mulugeta is very professional, prompt, knows a ton about Addis, and is a pleasure to spend time with. Whether you’re in Addis for work, in transit, or as a tourist, I highly recommend him.

Contact info:

Mulugeta

Mobile or WhatsApp: +251912080957

Email: mu_derbie@yahoo.com

Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

I had a 10 hour layover in Addis and read some great reviews about Dawut tours, who Mulugeta works with. It turns out Mulu is seriously the coolest, nices, guy ever! He drove me and a female guide Weinshet all day. It was easy to find them at the airoport- they were waiting with signs :) It was also pretty easy to communicate in English although they did inspire me to learn Amharic!

We started by going to the National Museum of Ethiopia where we saw Lucy, Ardi, and other incredible historical artefacts. I learned so much about Ethiopian culture and the history of the PEOPLE- in vivid, beautiful detail.

We then went to Mt. Entoto and saw a lovely vista overlooking Addis. We also went to Shiromeda market and bought some jewelry and saw some dresses for sale. We also had one of the strongest, best, cups of coffee I ever drank! We ended the night at Yod Abyssinia- a traditional restaurant where we had the most delicious (vegan option) food and energizing dancing. I was truly sad to say goodbye to Mulu and Weinshet at the end of the night and I'm definitely coming back soon for a longer time to the see the other regions of Ethiopia with these guys. Thanks for giving me a true, authentic experience that I will never gorget! I'm still dreaming of injira.

If you want to contact Mulu directly text, call, email, or whatsapp him. He is super responsive:

+251912080957

mu_derbie@yahoo.com

1 post
7. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

I had a 10 hour layover in Addis and read some great reviews about a tour company that Mulugeta works with. It turns out Mulu is seriously the coolest, nices, guy ever! He drove me and a female guide Weinshet all day. It was easy to find them at the airport- they were waiting with signs :) It was also pretty easy to communicate in English although they did inspire me to learn Amharic!

We started by going to the National Museum of Ethiopia where we saw Lucy, Ardi, and other incredible historical artefacts. I learned so much about Ethiopian culture and the history of the PEOPLE- in vivid, beautiful detail.

We then lovely vista overlooking Addis. We also went to the market and bought some jewelry and saw some dresses for sale. We also had one of the strongest, best, cups of coffee I ever drank! We ended the night at a traditional restaurant where we had the most delicious (vegan option) food and energizing dancing. I was truly sad to say goodbye to Mulu and Weinshet at the end of the night and I'm definitely coming back soon for a longer time to the see the other regions of Ethiopia with these guys. Thanks for giving me a true, authentic experience that I will never forget! I'm still dreaming of honey wine...

sydnet
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)

i was in Addis Ababa in September 2018 for 8days but unfortunately i did not plan the trip in detail , which normally i do. i had made contact with Dawit, about whom i have already written and highly recommended, but through Dawit i meet Mulu, ( these two make a great and a fantastic team together) i noticed some refer to Mulu as a driver, but i can tell you he is a fantastic tour guide with a vast knowledge of the country. i love coffee and Mulu took me to all the greatest coffee shops traditional and western style, Mulu is young and extremely friendly man and i felt extremely comfortable to ask him, from coffee to night life to great pubs and well organized lake tours and historic sites and also enjoy a traditional coffee along the blue river Nile . as in my previous write up i would just get in contact with Mulu and Dawit next time give them the days i have in Ethiopia and ask them to organize the hotels the tours and the social life after a long day of tour. Ethiopia is a great destination and very friendly people but there is more than tourist sites to visit, and Mulu knows what tourists are interested and would be interested, so get in contact withe him and let the journey begin.

Reply to: Visiting Addis with Mulugeta (guide and driver)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted