We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

United States
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

I have about 8 hours of free time (starting from 10:00am in Addis Airport and returning by 6:00pm in Addis Airport). I am looking for trip suggestions OUTSIDE of the city during this time.

I would love to visit Debre Libanos, but is it possible to do in 8 hours?? If not, what about Debre Zeit? Or any other recommendations? I am more interested in scenic drive, villages, rural life and landscapes. I will have already visited Lalibela, so I may not be interested in archeological sites of Tiya.

Also, my trip will be on a Friday. So, if there is anything special somewhere on Fridays, I can consider that too.

Looking forward to your advice! Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

Debre Libanos is much further. At least a 2 hour drive from central Addis. 120 kms

No real western restaurants there. Good scenery and almost certainly baboons off main road near DL.

Referred to as a monastery but basically a fairly modern chruch built in Haile Selassie time.

Debre Zeit/ Bishhoftu. Only an hour from Addis 45kms via modern 6 lane link roads that take you to the top of the Addis to Adama Expressway.. only 16 kms on the expressway. Large busy town. Market. Good restaurants. Hotels on two beautiful crater lakes.. L Babagoya is the most beautiful.

Fridays normal tho Orthodox folk dont eat meat on Fridays.

United States
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

@AddisAdvisor

Thank you so much for the information! Do you mean that Debre Libanos won't be possible to do in 8 hours from the airport? After reading about it, I'm more inclined to visit Debre Libanos and Portuguese Bridge there. But is it possible to make this trip in 8 hours or not?

I will need a private driver (I can not take a minivan as it will be more time consuming). Do you have any recommendations for a driver who can take me there from the airport?

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

Certainly possible to do Debre Libanos...

Will message you some possible contacts.

United States
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

@AddisAdvisor Got your message, thanks!

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

I do think 8 hours for Debrelibanos and back to Addis is not realistic. You have to think of the road. 130 km will take you two and half hours if not three hours one way.

United States
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

Ok. So even if it takes 3 hours one way (which means 6 hours on road) - will the remaining 2 hours be enough time to visit DL Monastery and walk on the Portuguese Bridge?

Actually I am more interested in visiting DL as opposed to other places because of more beautiful drive, view of Jemma valley, Waterfall, chance of seeing native animal, etc. (The highway to Debre Zeit is not so beautiful being more industrialized).

Edited: 31 October 2017, 18:07
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

Yes you will have time. Walk to PB very quick from Ethiopia German lodge.

But be aware re DZ trip that the new link roads to the expressway means you don't pass all the factories on the old DZ road...

8. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 November 2017, 14:05

Addis Ababa
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

Excursion to Debre Libanos Monastery.

This morning drive about 110 km from Addis Ababa, approximately two hours’ drive.

Debre Libanos is an important monastic center for Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, the monastery was founded by the renowned 13th century mystic, Saint Teklehaimanot and there is a small cave near the church (which is of recent construction) where he is said to have stood for seven years on one leg, until the other wasted away and dropped off.

On this tour visitors can combine history and culture with some good bird watching, as we pass through the Sululta(35 kms) Plain we can see Black-winged plovers, Wattled Ibis, Blue-winged geese, Common Cranes and Wheat ears.

On arrival at Debre Libanos, we will first stop at the Jemma River gorge. The Jemma River is one of the tributaries of the Nile, and there is a drop of nearly 1000 meters to the valley below. Here we find one of Ethiopia’s endemic mammals, the Gelada baboon or bleeding heart baboon.

Leaving the Gorge we proceed to the church. After the church, visitors can make the climb to the cave of St Teklehaimanot. Near the cave monks may show visitors the remains of some 300 monks, slaughtered in 1936 by the Italian invaders. Mussolini and the fascist authorities saw the Ethiopian Orthodox Church as one of the key elements of an independent Ethiopian identity, and thought that by carrying out the massacre they would cow the Church and by extension the Ethiopian people into submission. Rather, this atrocity fed the flames of resistance.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport

8 hours is enough to visit debre libanose...its nice to see the landscapes when you drive through the small city's on the way.and you will also have a chance to see some gelad baboons ...there

Reply to: 8 hour trip from/to Addis Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted