We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stay in Addis Airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stay in Addis Airport

Hello Travellers!

I will be travelling from Madagascar to London with Ethiopian Airlines with long overnight transit at Addis Abababa airport ( 7:30pm until 09am next day).

With an economy ticket what recommendations would someone give me for a comfortable night rest?How much would it cost me to use the company's lounge at terminal 2 ? Any recent experiences and recommendations are welcome. THank you!!

Mentioned in this post
12 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

You will get a free hotel room and free bus to it and back to airport c 0600. Expect to receive both boarding cards at first check in and ask for hotel voucher at that check in. No visa needed, immigration will stamp either 2nd boarding pass or hotel voucher.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

Thank you very much for your reply!

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

" Chiggar yellem" as we say here >>ie no problem. We would love it if you could post

a brief transit report on here as we get loads of queries like yours but very few reports after the transit!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

It will be my pleasure! Best wishes

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

Just returned to London from Madagascar with a 14 hours overnight transit at Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airlines (economy class). We asked at check-in counter in Antananarivo´s Airport about this and we were given a voucher which included a return transfer from the airport, 1 double room and 2 meals ( dinner and breakfast at the hotel). Make sure you ask at the check-in counter before you start fyling otherwise the airlines won´t be worried about informing you about your rights or offers.

Mentioned in this post
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

Many thanks for your report!!

Do you remember name of hotel and am I right in thinking the free bus back to airport gets you there three plus hours before flight??

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
238 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

Last year when I stayed at Friendship Int'l hotel they had departures every 30 minutes I think.

I remember asking them for a ride about 2 hours before my flight (just to make sure it's actually there) and they obliged.

Perhaps it's different at other hotels.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

Thanks JB....Friendship Hotel i think is very near airport. Some hotels they use are out in the far east suburbs and will not i think have such regular shuttles....

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

ET will provide you transit hotel

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight stay in Addis Airport

Hi! I also have a layover at Addis of close to 10 hrs but when I asked the Ethiopian airlines customer person through Facebook, he said I will be paying for my own hotel if I needed one. I will be at the airport from 3p.m.to 1a.m., yet I've 3 kids with me. Please advise me. My flight is in a couple of days. Thanks

Edited: 20 January 2018, 05:05
Reply to: Overnight stay in Addis Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted