We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

I was sure I am eligible to apply for visa on arrival, but now I am panicking as I am due to arrive in Addis Ababa this Saturday morning!

Would really appreciate it if anyone can confirm this? I have searched the web but there is very little information linking Singapore in particular.

Thank hyou so much

Mentioned in this post
29 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

Hi

I too would have been doubtful as Singapore is not in the approved list of nationalities for visa on arrival.

BUT when i checked the London Embassy website before replying i see a big big positive change.

See https:/…

Now 32 named nationalities can get VOA

PLUS

Anyone from a country where there is NO ETHIOPIAN EMBASSY

So if i have read it correctly this is a huge step in the right direction....

and assuming there is no Eth Embassy in Singapore u r OK.

Edited: 27 September 2017, 14:14
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

There is a Consulate General of Ethiopia here in Singapore, would that be an equivalent of an ethiopian embassy?

Mentioned in this post
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

For Carolyn and anyone else..arriving at Bole International .Terminal 2. Addis Ababa.

Whether your plane docks on a walkway or you are bused from tarmac, you will find yourself on a long corridor, on first floor of terminal 2. 80% of arrivals will be transiters. Follow the crowd till you see BAGGAGE RECLAIM sign . Go back down to ground floor on stairs or short escalator and you will see VOA windows in front of you with zig zag queue. Immigration queues are to right.

Present passport only at VOA window, but have a hotel in your head or a friends phone number or invent one..as this will be asked. They will take your picture,

THen go round to right and rear of VOA mini block, to pay. £34 or$40 have notes, or credit card.

After paying you go thru a solo security type arch and straight into baggage hall, by passing main immigration queues ( for people with visas issued abroad)

Just Into baggage hall you can access bank and there is one ATM in middle of hall.

Keep your baggage tags, issued at check in, handy, as staff may ask for them as you pass customs.

IF you have meeter or greeter they will probably be outside the building down in the car park.

IF you want yellow airport taxi, or to find meeters, follow others down a luggage trolley ramp which delivers you to taxis, and rest of car park. Boss man for taxis here has a book with fixed prices to various destinations/hotels.

Enjoy addis

Edited: 27 September 2017, 14:31
Mentioned in this post
Bole Airport
Bole Airport
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Hamburg, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

You are eligible for visa on arrival.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

I am not sure on consulate question but the wording says Embassy...

Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

Hi,

Did you get a visa-on-arrival eventually?

The consulate office in Singapore was shut down 2 months ago, I'm going Addis Ababa in December. Wondering if I should fax a request for visa on arrival. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

Jennifer

1. You could try the fax but i very much doubt if it will work. ie no reply

2. You cant apply for the new e visa as Singapore is not on the list of nations

BUT 3. If there is no longer an Eth consulate in Singapore then you are entitled to get VOA as someone from a country WITHOUT an Ethiopian "Mission"

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

Below is the current, recently updated, statement on the website of the Ethiopian Embassy in London

Eligibility

Tourist visas can only be issued on arrival to:

Foreign nationals who are coming from countries where there is no Ethiopian Mission

Nationals from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea Republic, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States.

Please note that visas on arrival are only applicable to tourist visas. Business visas cannot be obtained on arrival. You are required to secure a business visa in advance at your nearest Embassy or Consulate.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

Singapore passport - you can obtain tourist visa on arrival

Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?

either get a Visa beforehand or have an official Letter of Invitation because we were NOT allowed into the country and were rejected when we tried to apply for VOA. I repeat, us 4 Singaporeans travelling to Ethiopia for holiday were NOT allowed into the country and basically deported back.

Thought it would be apt to share our experience trying to get a VOA in Addis Ababa on 19 Dec 2017. We were 4 Singaporean passport holders travelling together, also on the assumption that you could get a VOA. We were NOT allowed to, because we were told we needed a letter of invitation. First surprise there because we did not know about this requirement, and our hotel letter DID NOT cut it. It needed to be from the head office/headquarters of an Ethiopian tour agency. We thought we would be ok cuz we had engaged a local tour company for Lalibela and Danakil and our guy, Molla who was awesome, scrambled the whole morning to get us an official letter and went down to the immigration authorities to lodge it. once approved we should have gotten a call inside the airport immigration office which should have allowed us to then apply for a VOA.

For no reason given, it was flat out rejected despite our agent's best efforts. they didn't bother explaining it to him. This whole time immigration officers aren't telling us anything, and holding on to our passports, until our agent calls us saying its been rejected, at which point immigration says we have to leave the country. Ethiopian airlines was very helpful and gave us the option of flying out to a third place if we paid, or get put on the next flight home, the option I chose. So after the 10 hour overnight flight there, I was stuck in the airport transit area for 17 hours till the next overnight flight home. Needless to say we are all disappointed and angry cuz we're not quite sure what happened with immigration or whether we just got REALLY unlucky.

But thought it would be helpful to share what just happened to the bunch of us a few weeks ago if its helpful at all. if anyone else got in and had no issues please let us know because obviously we are hoping to go back!

(side note: Lalibela Eco Tours were amazing through our crazy ordeal and even though we never actually got there, the help they provided us was great and super reliable so I am sure they would be a great tour operator as well, and they have very positive reviews elsewhere here on Tripadvisor.)

Mentioned in this post
Lalibela
Lalibela
Amhara Region, Ethiopia
Reply to: Singaporean travelling to Ethiopia, OK for Visa on Arrival?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted