We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explore Vic Falls ourselves or do some tours?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
521 reviews
Save Topic
Explore Vic Falls ourselves or do some tours?

Hello Vic Falls experts

We have two nights at the Victoria Falls Hotel(a splurge after 11 days mobile camping in Botswana). I love these old colonial hotels and have a vision of just enjoying the setting, wandering on our own to see the Falls and the various viewpoints, lots of photography, birdwatching, wander across the Bridge a bit. Definitely no adventure activities!

BUT,....I would like advice on whether we'd be better doing at least one of the many organised activities?

We'll have done a sunset boat trip at Chobe and I've read some of the Zambezi trips are a bit like booze cruises, which doesn't appeal. Any thoughts?

Kayaking/canoeing on the Upper Zambezi sounds good but not sure if this beats just strolling near the falls and visiting the town itself.

Walking with Lions sounded perfect until I read the ethics around it ......

Any thoughts about how best to use the short time? We arrive around mid day(late Sept) and fly out 48 hours later.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
The Victoria Falls Hotel
The Victoria Falls Hotel
2,764 Reviews
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Brisbane
Level Contributor
104 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Explore Vic Falls ourselves or do some tours?

My advice - if you can afford it, do it - How many times in your life are you going to be in Vic Falls with a full moon. It is a different experience. It was wonderful hearing peoples expressions as they worked out how to get a photo on their various cameras. After lots of tries my husband got a pretty good shot (lots of black ones as well) -I got none. Remember visiting the falls is not a cheap experience (US $30 each entrance - I think) - but for us it is a long way to go to not see as much as possible (and the falls is why you are there).

On our visit we saw the falls by helicopter first (I think a must do), then the evening moonbow (only 4 from our group went), then a morning visit on Zim side and lunch time Zam side (part of our tour) We then paid for an extra admission next afternoon on Zim side - better light and more rainbows of an afternoon. We then walked along the path to Vic falls Hotel for High tea (also a must do and a bargain)

Just so you know you can pay by card to enter the National Park.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Explore Vic Falls ourselves or do some tours?

Thanks Vada.Afternoon tea is a must - I've had that pencillled in from the start! It all sounds wonderful.Just 'being' there is a big attraction too.

Not an easy or inexpensive place to get to though, Vic Falls.So, yes, likely to be our only time there.

Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Explore Vic Falls ourselves or do some tours?

We stayed at Victoria falls hotel and did the tour of the falls ourselves, very easy with the map that the hotel provides. The hawkers are not as bad as others we have come across in different parts of the world, you will only come across them on your walk from the hotel grounds to the falls , around 10 minutes max. Best advice is to say nothing and just look ahead and keeping walking. They get the message quickly and are really harmless.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Explore Vic Falls ourselves or do some tours?

I'm relieved to hear that re the hawkers.....can't wait to see it all!

15. Re: Explore Vic Falls ourselves or do some tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2016, 05:17