We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethiopian Airlines

essex
4 posts
Save Topic
Ethiopian Airlines

HI has anyone travelled on Ethiopian Airlines before. Are they reliable and safe - travelling to Zimbabwe

Thanks appreciate any input

Mentioned in this post
Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
117 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethiopian Airlines

Ethiopian have a very good reliability and safety record. Their planes are usually clean and tidy and the staff helpful (unlike some African airlines). They are actually the largest airline in Africa. However you shouldn't expect the same sort of level of inflight service you would get on European or Middle Eastern Airlines. The airport in Addis used to be rather tatty, badly organised and crampt so not much fun for transit passengers but I believe the new terminal used by Ethiopian is a big improvement. I guess you are thinking of using them because they are cheap - how much are they charging? Have you also tried Emirates - longer journey but shorter transfer usually depending on where you start your journey - as they fly to 5 airports in the UK - and rather fancier experience esp from London to Dubai. Dubai - Harare is nothing special though.

Mentioned in this post
Harare
Harare
Harare Province, Zimbabwe
essex
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ethiopian Airlines

Hi thank you so much for your feedback. It was a combination flight with Emirates and wasn't sure how reliable they were as I had read quite a few reviews where other travellers had lost their luggage.

Thank you this was very helpful

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ethiopian Airlines

As stated by PASM64 Ethiopian airlines is quiet reliable airline when you are traveling to Africa only if your stopover is short on return but if you're taking flight with overnight stopover then I would suggest try emirates or Kenyan airlines they might be a bit expensive but they do flights better connections.

Gweru, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ethiopian Airlines

They are safe and reliable but my luggage did arrive late from hong kong to Harare. The harare-addis uses an ok boeing but the connection hong kong was on an immaculate 777. Cheap a well.

But i am by far an emirates person.

Mentioned in this post
Harare
Harare
Harare Province, Zimbabwe
Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ethiopian Airlines

I flew Ethiopian LHR-HRE last October and was very happy with the flight - nice new Dreamliner aircraft was extremely comfortable and the cabin service was good.

The problem for me with Ethiopian is getting a flight with decent connection times back to UK...hence I flew back SAA.

Emirates are a great airline, however, flying to HRE via Dubai makes for an unnecessarily long flight.

6. Re: Ethiopian Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2017, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Harare