We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heightened security levels

2 posts
Heightened security levels

Does anybody have any advice on the apparent security levels? My mother-in-law has had some members of our extended family scaremongering, now she is worried about travelling next Wednesday.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Heightened security levels

We are here for 7 weeks now, living in village in north of Sousse.

Absolutely no problems here

2 posts
2. Re: Heightened security levels

Thanks for that, I think people tend to make things sound a lot worse than what things are.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Heightened security levels

There is always a good level of security in the resorts in tunisia. Each hotel has security at the entrance. You will go through police control points on the road, which is normal. They do spot checks on drivers, taxis etc. this is as I say perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. As you have said it is scaremongering. Yes everyone needs to be aware if going out alone / late at night, but that is no different to any other location in the world. Enjoy Tunisia :)

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Heightened security levels

How about the West side of Tunisia, Tabarka and Ain Draham area?

Many embassies seem to give warnings or NO-GO-statements to Jendouba area.

Is Tabarka safe or not? As I have understood it is not tourist town so one could think it's safer but yet it IS on Jendouba region.

Anyone knowing the real situation there now? Any special places / situations to avoid?

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Heightened security levels

You can only go by what's been advised, up to you if you want to go, or take the advice or no.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Heightened security levels

The area of Jendouba is unsafe because in the mountains the Tunisian and Algerian army is fighting rebels (fighting as in war - with mines, helicopters. )

It has nothing to do with being a tourist area or not !

As far as I could follow the news the last weeks nothing bad happened in the towns themselves... But there have been incidents with busses with soldiers that exploded in the mountain area's

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Heightened security levels

Thanks. I am aware of the rebels, attacks, shootings, bombs and kidnappings. That is exactly the reason why I am asking - and hoping to get info from people who are actually in that area.

Also, wondering is the public transportation from Tunis to Tabarka safe?

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Heightened security levels

I have yet to see anybody posting on the forum that are actually in the areas you want to go to.

As said before, its deemed unsafe near the border areas.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Heightened security levels

Till this moment there have been no kidnappings in Tunisia

This a link to Tunisian news website in English: http://www.tap.info.tn/en/

If you would have asked me on the 17th of March if the Bardo was safe I would have said yes - and then some idiots walk in and kill lots of people

So, I am not going to say today that Tabarka will be safe... But it has been till now...

Public tranport in the area are busses and louages. Both are dangerous on them selves as traffic has another set of rules then in Europe (LOL) but that has off course nothing to do with the area....

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Heightened security levels

Thanks for the link. What comes to the kidnapping, this info I got straight from the embassy site: it was mentioned along the violent conflicts on the Algerian border.

Get answers to your questions about Tunisia