We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
86 reviews
City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Hello forum,

I am leaving for SA in 10 days, flying into Johannesburg from LA. I booked one night at the City Lodge Hotel, which I understand is within walking distance of the international terminal in JNB. There are some reports of Americans being robbed while getting money at the ATMs (I won't need cash), or walking to their hotels.

Can anyone who has recently been at JNB airport provide some feedback regarding safety?

Note I am a female solo traveler, possibly an easy target.

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Access to the hotel is a part of the airport concourse. There will be lots of other people around.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
2. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Access to the hotel is along a covered, well lit walkway,used by many people.

I walk that walkway at least once, in each direction, every time I am at the airport....almost every day, sometimes twice on the same day.

I have never seen, or heard of any problems along there, in the 14 years that I have been in the business.

Neither have I heard of anyone being robbed at an airport ATM.

I also use the airport ATMs myself, and have never had a problem.

These ATMs are probably "safer" to use than others, on the "high street",etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

We had a very unpleasant incident along the walkway en route to City Lodge after our trolley was snatched out of my husband's grip, yet we were with another couple. The tout would not give it up and we ended up in a verbal altercation with this crazy man inside the hotel, where the security guard just sat there while I was screamed at to hand over R250. We will not stay there again.

Edited: 07 July 2018, 05:53
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

I would certainly take note of the last reply, but will add I've stayed at City Lodge a few times as a solo female traveler with no problems at all. Very convenient and staff were very helpful, although I had no reason to rely on security...

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Yes as said very easy to access, we have stayed there more times than I can count without a problem, but I understand you being on your own. At some at night times it can be quiet along the concourse, just keep your eye out I guess, maybe walk up with other tourists it might make you feel better.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Sandmans hello. I have to say as other couple in that altercation and I may add we had our own battle with the Neer do wells and am glad my hub has played Rugby and they didn't win. Last time 2017 in November all was fine but I do think best forewarned is forearmed.Of course it didn't happen to me isn't a pancea. I think its ok now but best to be a heads up rather than be non informed I think and get a very confronting surprise. I like President Lodge , Edenvale with meet greet and interpersonal with local,caring owners and as OP is a solo worth considering.Food for thought.

7. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 July 2018, 17:36

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Shame about their security guards Dave, Quite mind boggling let me say !

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
86 reviews
9. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Thank you for all the comments.

The SA forum is great...very helpful! I would have preferred the Intercontinental but at $ 350 per night, it is too expensive. I'm taking my chances at the City Lodge and will be super careful, walk close to other people...and not use a trolley (so sorry Nooee for your incident! fortunately no physical harm was done).

I will also write a review and trip report to share my experience.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
10. Re: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg

Another choice is the Southern Sun International which is less than a kilometer from the airport and has a shuttle that runs every 15 minutes. The shuttle picks up behind the Intercontinental. It has a decent restaurant and room service. Breakfast is included in the rate. I stay there as a single woman when passing through Joburg (at least 10 separate nights over multiple trips to SA) and always feel safe there. I am also usually able to get my room whatever time I arrive including recently at 9 a.m.

Reply to: City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo Airport Johannesburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted