We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alton area help please

Maine
9 posts
Alton area help please

We live in Maine, but my husband will be transferred to the Roxana area in March. He'll be there for a year. I am searching for places for him to live. What areas should we avoid? What areas are the best? What commutes should he expect? Any help will be much appreciated. We are not familiar with IL at all.

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Alton area help please

You can find a lot of information on-line. I would recommend checking out Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Bethalto, Maryville, Troy, Collinsville. These are all nice towns and 10 - 25 minutes from Roxana. I found a few web sites for you.

www.citytowninfo.com

www.thetelegraph.com (Alton, IL newspaper)

www.edwardsvillerealestate.com

www.goedwardsville.com

www.riverbender.com

and for fun, www.greatriverroad.com

this area is north of Roxana along the river north of Alton

If he needs to stay in a hotel for awhile there are nice hotels in Edwardsville, Glen Carbon and Collinsville with easy access to I-255.

I hope this is helpful.

Maine
9 posts
2. Re: Alton area help please

Thank you! That was very helpful. He would prefer to live in a hotel/motel that has a 1 bedroom kind of room...a suite. Or a place with corporate housing...furnished apartment. Do you know of any? Also, if you had a choice, and you had to drive to Roxana every day, didn't want a long commute, but wanted to live where it's pretty and not congested, where would you live?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,882 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Alton area help please

This might help - http://www.visitalton.com/index.cfm

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Alton area help please

I guess it depends on your price range. It looks like you could spend $700/mo unfirnished or $1,500/mo furnished or $2,000/mo hotel.

You could buy a few inexpensive furnishings and donate them when you are ready to move back home.

I found a few more websites that may be helpful.

holidayinn.com (East Port Plaza Dr., Collinsville)

countryhearth.com (Edwardsville location - see Trip Advisor reviews)

oakwood.com (corporated housing in Edwardsville)

riverviewsuites.net (in Alton, looks very nice, furnished)

apartmentcities.com

I'm assuming that your husband has not visited the area. You are going to have a short commute to Roxana from Alton, Bethalto, Edwardsville, Collinsville.

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Alton area help please

There is a brand new Hampton Inn in Glen Carbon, IL. The address is 5723 Heritage Crossing. It is on Rt 157 just south of Rt 157 & I-270 and it is about 9 miles from South Roxana which is about 12 minutes. It is far enough away from the interstate that you shouldn't get the noise. Their web site said they have an indoor pool and free hot breakfast. There really isn't much around it right now. The Country Hearth in Edwardsville is also new and there are many new restaurants with in walking distance and many new restaurants and stores near by. It would be a long drive to stay in Missouri, not to mention the traffic!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Alton area help please

Maine: The Edwardsville area would more than likely provide more of everything you will need as far as housing, motels, etc.

It is in pretty close proximity to the Roxana area.

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
229 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Alton area help please

Advoid Bethalto at all costs. It is a small hick town with a corrupt government.

Also, try to advoid the Roxana, East Alton, Hartford araes, they are not that appealing.

Your best bet would be Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Collinsville, & Godfrey areas.

8. Re: Alton area help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Alton