We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passing Through Fall....

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
962 posts
52 reviews
Passing Through Fall....

I will be passing through this area between Alton and Grafton, with a stop in Elsah the 23rd and 24th. Hope to be able to get some Apple Butter in Grafton at one of the Fruit Stands. So, are the Eagles beginning to show up and are they better this year than last. And How are the Fall colors this year compared to last year?

5 replies to this topic
Illinois
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
179 reviews
1. Re: Passing Through Fall....

I live north of Alton and we usually see eagles before they do. It's not cold enough yet.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
962 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Passing Through Fall....

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be there hot or cold and hope to be able to see at least one of these magnificent creatures from high up on the bluffs. Maybe the weather will change by then and I will be lucky.

Thanks again for the reply.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
179 reviews
3. Re: Passing Through Fall....

Well, just to make it sound like I lied, we saw ONE yesterday afternoon! Maybe he'll wait around for you :-)

As for colors, ours are rather lame this year because it's been so dry. Leaves have been turning brown & falling off without the normal burst of color. Hopefully, it's better in Alton.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
962 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Passing Through Fall....

Ms: I am currently west of New Orleans and heading out in the rain shortly. I will stop in Sikeston for an overnight and head out on Monday for Cottage Hills. Hopefully the weather will be a lot better there than here. Maybe the Eagles are awaiting my arrival.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
962 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Passing Through Fall....

Well my visit there this time found very little color change along the river between Alton and Grafton. No Eagle's in sight. Maybe next time.

Reply to: Passing Through Fall....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alton