We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
853 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

And what are the suggestion surrounding the best time to visit the Alton area for the fall foliage observance. I will be there during the week of October 23rd in 2017 and am wondering if I am in for a treat to view the color changes along the Great River Road between Alton and Grafton. Any ideas?

7 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,465 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

http://greatriverroad.com/Fall/fallViews.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

It has been an odd year. The trees in Chicago are already bursting with color. It's very early. I'd guess that by the end of October this year the leaves will mostly be gone.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
853 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

Shoals: Sounds, according to your location that it could be the same for the Alton Area as last year. It was then that I arrived and found that most of the leaves bearing any color were down and out and the trees along the Great River Road were just a ghost of what they should have been.

Thanks for the reply.....

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

I live downstate from Chicago. It's been so dry, leaves here are turning brown & falling off the trees. Alton could be in the same boat, but maybe you'll have good luck.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
853 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

Ms: Well, whatever, it is my semi annual visit to the area and has been for quite a few years, so whatever shows up, I will enjoy the whatever and look forward to next time. I always visit the end of April, when the weather is warmer and October, before the snow moves in and visit friends from Creel Springs and as far north as Waukegan at one time. Now, mostly the Alton area is my focus. How times have changed, but I always like the River Road from Alton to Grafton including the Village of Elsah and the surrounds. Hope it is a good year for the Colors.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

Consider it a good thing that you have more of a chance of seeing the Bald Eagles in their aeries along the Mississippi without the camouflage of leaves.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
853 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors

Shoals: And you are correct in that assumption, and I have seen the Eagle's in the area on more than one occasion, especially from the higher ups on the bluffs. They are quite a site and they always seem to know that someone is watching them. Just my opinion.

Reply to: Fall Kaleidoscope of colors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alton