We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Ponce Inlet, Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Sorry this is going to be long.... I have learned so much off of the forum, I feel like I need to share my details! Arrived on Saturday into Honolulu to a mix of sun and clouds which soon changed to all clouds and rain. Thanks to the sunny and friendly faces we encountered, it did not seem so bad. Coming from jaded Jersey, I am loving the friendly people we have met so far! Starting at the airport to the hotel... Everyone has been overtly nice.... So refreshing.

We stayed at the Waikiki Beachcomber (a Holiday Inn property) two nights thanks to Priority Club Points. Nicely located. Not right on the beach... But across the street. We enjoyed the balcony room during the Honolulu Festival parade. Very lively. Rooms are clean and seemingly new. Very helpful and friendly staff.

Now maybe people who need Cheesecake Factories and Coach stores would find Waikiki wonderful... But I feel it is a little like Vegas on the beach. Had I known this we would have gotten out of Dodge. I already live in a concrete jungle (metro NYC)... I am looking for some natural beauty.

Eat at Eggs N Things. Maybe the best omelet that I have ever had! Huge portions. Enough to share.

Headed to Haunauma Bay despite the threatening rain. We pulled in at 6am when they open. Soon 5 other cars followed behind. Sunrise is at 6:35 now... So the early birds were getting the worms! We were one of the first people in the water. Saw 2 turtles and a gazillion fish of all sizes and colors. Even saw a neat eel that was about 2 feet long with black spots! 2 hours later we were pooped and ready for the next adventure. Pulling out of the lot at about 9am... And the lot was nearly full... Despite the rain. Get there early! The mobs descended from the buses, just as we were leaving. BTW there seemed to be a lot of security in the parking lot. This was a big concern of mine. I just made sure we did not leave anything behind.

Get me out of the city!!! Headed to the North Shore to Hau'ula to the AWESOME $100 a night Home Away cottage that we rented. Fully equiped with a hammock and secluded beach.... Now this is what I am talking about.

Spent another rainy, rainy morning driving around. Decided to not let the miserable weather stop us. Headed to Kaena Point to hike. Muddy does not quite describe it. Watched as they attempted to tow out a guy who got stuck about a mile in 4x4ing. Water was almost up the doors. Seriously DO NOT attempt to drive the 4x4 trails unless you are experienced. It took 4 hrs to get the guy out... Who knows what that tow bill was!!!!I will post pics when I get home. Wonderful hike, but it is for those who are physically fit. This is not a paved or flat trail. Having said that, it is highly recommended! Make sure you go all the way to the end. We saw people stopping at what looks like a cattle gate. Climb through it... This is the BEST part. There are lots of albatross nesting in this area. We even saw a huge baby. Also saw a big Hawaiian Monk Seal on the beach at the very end. We came in on the Dillingham Field side. Don't leave anything valuable in your car. It is apparently a high theft area... But we did not notice any glass on the ground. As long as you don't leave things in plan sight you will be fine. We even saw a police officer cruising the primitive lot, so that made me feel better.

Ate at the highly recommended Sharks Cove Cafe. It was fantastic! Had the shrimp with pesto sauce and the ahi skewers. Yummy!

Another tiring day. Resting up. My husband coerced me to take surfing lessons tomorrow with the North Shore Surfer Girls. Will post more later.

I extend a sincere thank you to all of the local experts who have contibuted such valuable info!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Sounds like a lovely trip was had in Oahu..thanks for the TR.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,536 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Nice trip report so far.

The Kaena Point hike is really nice.

Did you get in free at Hanauma Bay?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,401 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Aloha,

Great report, keep um coming !

Aloha

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Thanks for your lovely trip report! I have changed my original reservation from 7 nights at Waikiki (Outrigger Reef) to 3 nights Turtle Bay, 4 nights Reef but with beach replenishment project going on, I'm seriously thinking of either extending Turtle Bay or all Turte Bay. I've been to Oahu before so I have a good sense of the feel of both places. On my first visit, I disliked Waikiki but was surprised to like it more on my 2nd visit years later.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,688 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Thanks for your trip report. It's good to know what to expect from Waikiki. I, too, live in a city and have no use for the high end shops. But we rent a car and day trip when there and just love coming back to the busy vibe where we can walk to restaurants and bars and not worry about driving when sampling mai tai's and Hawaiian music.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

I have to say that I've never done the Kaena Point hike but doesn't a closed gate indicate private property and that all the people climbing in/over/under it are tresspassing?

Ponce Inlet, Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

Yes, we did get in free to Hanauma Bay. Glad we went when we did. It is now closed due to the flash floods. Hear it might open back up tomorrow.

The gate at Kaena Point is to keep out dogs. It is the entrance to the protected albatross/shearwater nesting area. A not to be missed area! On another note... I found a gorgeous cone shell in perfect condition at the beachy area about 2/3 if the way to the point. A lady told me today that that is an excellent shelling area... Especially the tidal pool area.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,536 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

A note about getting into Hanauma Bay free.

The ticket office does not open until 7am. So if you get there by 6:45 or so, you can go in without paying the $7.50 entry fee.

9. Re: Trip Report Part 1...Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:18