We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

My MR book says this road gets VERY narrow. How narrow are we talking?

Is it easy to fall off the road?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

Apparently there is a video of someone taking this drive. Anyone have it?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

yes. and no doubt.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 12:06
3. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2011, 12:36
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

The stretch of road that you are referring to actually begins several miles past Kapalua, where Hwy. 30 ends and 340 begins. The northern part of West Maui past Kapalua is very scenic and can be toured easily on paved two lanes.

But Hwy 340 is a tight one laner in parts, one lane on blind curves, on a cliff with no guard rail. Also fallen rocks are often on the road . So yes, very dangerous.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 12:56
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

And the first time you come across someone who is traveling in the other direction, one of you is going to have to back up, up that one-lane road, with no guard rails and fallen rocks, until you get to a turn off where one can pull aside and let the other pass. Did anyone mention that the fantastic, scenic views are due to the height up above SEACLIFFS?

But, on a serious note, there are many beautiful sights, even if you don't go all the way around. We now like to drive up to where it becomes one lane, then turn around and head back.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,813 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

Don't go past the blowhote ... turn around there. Your car agency agency will not cover you on Hwy 340. You are wise to ask.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

Please don't do this. Yes, it's dangerous, and Maui rescue workers have better things to do than recover you or your vehicle after you find out how dangerous.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

I'm glad you are asking questions about these roads you are reading about in the Maui reviled. Things sometimes in that book aren't as they seem.

This road, the Kahekili Hwy, that goes around the west Maui mountains is prohibited in your rental car agreement. You can go as far as the blow hole, maybe a bit beyond and then it is a really good idea to turn around and go back the same way you came!! If you want a video, check youtube.

This is a white knuckle, cliff side drive that scared the -------out of me. We drove it once by accident. Never again!!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

Well I have to offer a different perspective. For someone who drives all the tough dirt roads on Lana`i, this back side of west Maui is breeze. We have done it twice. There are some narrow parts, but you just take it very slow. There is a nice art gallery in the town (I can't remember the name) that is about halfway. There are some very beautiful spots along the drive. I liked it because it is a chance to get away from all the crowds on Maui. But that is why I go to Lana`i.

Now I haven't done that road in 10 years (I haven't been to Maui for 10 years), so I cannot comment on the current status of the road.

But as said, if you get into trouble, your are out of luck with the rental car agency.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the road continuing east of Kapalua dangerous?

We were forced to take this road in June 2007 due to fires or we would miss our flight.

If you were the only one on the road it would still be dangerous. At some point you cannot safely turn back( no place for 3 pt turn). If you have to back up remember that there are no straight sections.

You can always drive around to the many other scenic drives and when you run out then consider this. You won't run out.