We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentine's Day

Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Valentine's Day

Need some help here - I will be in Maui from Feb 8-17, and my girlfriend will be joining me from the 12th-15th. Neither of us are huge Valentine's Day celebrants, and we really are only in the beginning stages of the relationship.

That said, we will be on Maui, and it lends itself to this kind of thing, so hoping that someone might have a suggestion for a simple, subtle, yet memorable experience. By subtle, I mean avoiding the helicopter ride to a deserted yet scenic beach, where an elaborate 6 course dinner has been set up. Not a problem spending some cash for this.

Friends have suggested Haleakala and Hana. We had actually planned to go to Hana on Saturday. I was thinking a sunset cruise, with some dancing and drinks, but would love to hear your ideas and/or experiences.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentine's Day

Look at the Kealii Reichel concert at the Maui Arts & Cultural center. Quintessential Hawaii for the Valentine's Day date! You may never had heard of him on the mainland but he is a Grammy winning Hawaiian music artist and hula halau kumu.

mauiarts.org/Feb.html#KealiiReichelInKukahi

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,777 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentine's Day

Aloha,

I agree with Timm.........Kealii's concert is always a sellout and is a wonderful, different experience than the "usual" Valentine's Day stuff. Get tickets quick-it really is popular and the good tickets will go quick!

They sell food and drinks before the concert, and though it's not 'fancy', it's good food at a good price.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentine's Day

Aloha,

Agree with scubatimm and sw. This will be a memorable concert that will live on in your memories for sure!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,843 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentine's Day

Sunset cruise is OK if you want to be with a bunch of other people on a sunset cruise. Where are you staying? Some resorts have private dining on the property. Thing is - you may be too late. It is worth a try.

Roy, sweetie ... are you looking for something mushy or not ... I can't tell.

Again - where are you staying?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentine's Day

The Keiili Reichel concert did sell out and they have added a 2nd night.

If interested book asap

Great singer, his dancers are fabulous and his back up singers are very good.

all seats are expensive so just close your eyes and charge it. Mind you it is less than a luau.

Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentine's Day

We are staying at the Royal Lahaina in Kaanapali. I guess I'm looking more for memorable, with a hint of romance, than mushy.

Other ideas I've seen are hiring a photographer to take candid shots of us (working with the concierge on that one), or a couples' massage (just about to make the call to Black Rock Spa.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentine's Day

One of the most romantic things to do on Maui is to take a dinner sunset cruise. You can see the whales, watch the sunset and have a nice dinner. Id recommend the Lahaina Cruise Company - they have open aired dining so you can see the stars as well. Even though there will be a lot of people on the boat its so romantic you'll think you are all alone. They also have really nice live music for dancing. It was one of the best nights Ive had on Maui

8. Re: Valentine's Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 00:35
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentine's Day

Here is an idea....

Get to know your GF more and tailor the day more to HER liking.

Ask her friends and family (if u have met any of em) for suggestions based on her likes/dislikes,

If you have not met any of them, well maybe you will have to do some more talking and try to extract info from her.

Do what she wants in other words!

Chivalry will get you everywhere! LOL

denver
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentine's Day

Aloha,

Why don't you surprise her with a pair of earrings from Nahoku - a lovely Hawaiian jewelry boutique. check them out on www.nahoku.com - I believe there is one located at the Hyatt in Kaanapali - I could be wrong. So, treat your girl to a wonderful Valentine's dinner and then surprise her with something from Nahoku - you can't go wrong. :)