We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got Rain?

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Got Rain?

The northeast is getting clobbered by snow and we are getting drenched in rain. (Be careful what you wish for, you might get it ten times over). Sorry to those of you here on your dream vacation. Hulopo'e looked like chocolate milk yesterday and the rains have not let up. Try to make the most of it if you can. If there are jeeps available, you can probably drive at least to the Koloiki Ridge (but probably not the full Munro Trail) or maybe take a hike if you don't mind getting wet. Hot cocoa and a warm fire at The Lodge seem nice right about now. Hoping for at least one sunny day for you this week. :(

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got Rain?

Thanks for the info NatureCat. I remember one year after a big early December storm, Michelle at Adventure Lana`i Ecocentre was offering her Jeeps at 1/2 price, but said you could only take them on paved roads. She called it a "winter weather special."

Were the ferry and planes cancelled?

Has the storm taken away a lot of sand at Hulopo`e? It is amazing how many rocks appear on the Manele side of the beach when the sand is temporarily pulled away by high seas.

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got Rain?

Ferry running today, not sure about flights. I did hear they canceled the ferry at least once this week. Skies looking a wee bit hopeful right now. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sand definitely has receded quite a bit compared to summer. We've been getting so much rain that the waterfall appeared off the cliffs at Manele yesterday. (Named jokingly "Manele Falls").

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got Rain?

We saw those "falls" once too. However, they were not as big as the photo by Ron Gingerich. The photo can be found at this link:

lanaiphotographer.com/…2522

New Jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got Rain?

We leave the snowy east coast on Monday for Maui and then Lanai (5 nights each island). I have been following the weather reports on Twitter and hope the sun returns soon! Thanks for the update.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Got Rain?

It's DrV Nature Cat. I saw him on a youtube video doing a Minnesota "snow dance" but somehow, it got converted over the Internet to a "rain dance" on the Hawaiian Isles. LOL

I have no idea what I am talking about. Ha...ha...ha!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Got Rain?

Well the dance worked for the snow too. It has already snowed Monday and today this week. More snow is expected tomorrow and next Monday again.

I didn't think you could recognize me in my big parka. LOL.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 22:58
Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Got Rain?

Well Caddy, I'm sure he wanted it to be nice & green when he arrives later this month. It worked!! DrV, bring your galoshes just in case. Who says galoshes?...oh, I just did.

toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Got Rain?

No more rain, please stop! With 9 days to go......I hope the sun comes out before we arrive!!! Nothing sadder than travelling all those hours and find it raining.........I know everyone needs rain at some point but......well, just keep my fingers crossed I guess!! We may look into renting a jeep this year. I guess best to book before we arrive???

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Got Rain?

Sunshine is out today. Yippee!

You 'should' book before you come to make sure you can get a jeep. If the sun keeps shining, they may sell out! Make sure you ask if they charge a non-refundable deposit. If it starts raining again, you might be stuck with the jeep whether you want it or not. Not like mainland rentals where you can change your plans with little or no penalty.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Got Rain?

Adventure Lana`i Ecocentre was nice to me the one year I reserved a Jeep and the weather went sour for a couple days, but made the dirt roads unpassable for several days after. They just let me cancel. But I would ask about that specifically.

I have not called about a Jeep yet either, but planned to talk to them before we leave.