We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

I meant to hit reply but hit delete. I am pretty sure your screen name was OVAR.

I was going to ask that you post your question here on the forum so anyone could see it and pehaps not have to ask it again.

The question was something like "I want to see Lanai , Maui and Molokai if possible and what is a good way to se that up." I was also asked if there were any place to stay on Lanai besides the Four Seaons.

OK first yes you can stay at the Hotel Lanai. Their most expensive room (the cottage actually) is less that the FS even with the free day the FS is currently offering. The other rooms at the Hotel Lanai are cheaper but not nearly as private. There are also a couple of homes for rent on the island that you can find by doing a google search for them. I have not ever used them so do not have a lot of knowledge on cost or value.

If I was going to try to stay at all three islands I would fly into Honolulu, fly to Lanai, stay there then ferry over to Maui, stay there then ferry over to Molokai stay there then fly back to Honolulu from there. Another option might be to fly from the mainland to Maui and ferry to Molokai or Lanai, ferry back to Maui then ferry over to the other island.

Hopefully you see this and sorry about deleting your PM.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

Thank you very much for your immediate reply. I is just what I wanted to know. I understand that there is no ferry from Molokai to Lanai (or vice versa).

Would the consequence be that it is preferable to fly from Maui to Molokai and then from Molokai to Lanai and at the end from Lanai to Kona? I suppose Island Air has shuttles between these islands, but I'm not sure about the trip Lanai-Kona. Or is Go! a better alternative?

You have to be an expert indeed to know!

Thanks again.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

Interisland flights can be a little difficult.

You can fly direct from Maui to Molokai (Pacific Wings or GO! (really Mokulele in an 11 seat single engine plane))

You can fly direct from Molokai and Lanai (Island Air)

You can not fly direct from Lanai to Kona, you would have to connect in Honolulu to get there.

You can fly direct from Maui to Kona. (island Air, GO! or Hawaiian)

The problem with flying is all tge time spent checking in and clearing security, something you do not have to deal with on the ferrys. Unfortunaly there is no ferry between Lanai and Molokai.

I have never used GO! but have used Mokulele which is now owned by GO!. If GO! were the only option i would use them otherwise I would not.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 18:47
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

The flight from Moloka`i to Lana`i is just once a day, so obviously your choices are limited. I like Bill's idea of flying into Honolulu, then fly Island air to Lana`', then ferry to Maui, ferry to Moloka`i, and then fly back to Honolulu and eventually back home. The ferry only costs $30 each way, by flying will be more expensive.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

Thanks for both advices. It seems very complicated to choose a route where Molokai and Lanai are combined with two other islands, Maui and Big Island or Maui and Kauai. That's because there is no ferry between Molokai and Lanai. I've read that the ferry crossing can be very rough. Ferry is cheap, but perhaps less pleasant?

As alternative I'll check Pacific Wings, Island Air and Mokulele. Part of our first trip to Hawaii was a flight from Maui to Kona by Island Air. That was very comfortable.

Suggestions are welcome.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,023 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

I would suggest sticking with two islands, either Lana'i or Moloka'i, not both. I know it seems natural to see them as they are in proximity, but the routes are what they are. Simplify a little. It's hard to let go of a desire at first, but often times when you're on the trip, you realize that what you contemplated doing was insane.

I am one who plans very busy trips and I'm trying to learn not to do that/

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

I personally am not comfortable in the very small Pacific Wings and

Go! single engine prop planes. But that is just me. We have even had some rough flights on the 36 seat Island Air flights. But that said, the ferry crossing can be rough, more likely so in the winter. However, I would take a rough boat ride over a rough plane flight.

I would not go for 4 islands unless you have at least 3-4 weeks planned.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

Yes, we have 3-4 weeks indeed. Wasting some time to travel between the island is no big problem for us. The flight from the Netherlands to Hawaii is far worse: 20 hours in a plane!

However planes (GO! or Pacific Wings) with one engine are not very attractive.

The suggestion to choose one island: Molokai or Lanai in stead of both is an alternative. Or perhaps we can stay for five days on Molokai and book a one-day cruisetrip to Lanai, hoping to have the possibility to see the Garden of the Gods or the Munro Trail.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

I am pretty sure you would have to book your cruise/trip from Maui as there is not one available from Molokai as far as I know.

You can book through http://www.adventurelanai.com/ if you wish. Take the morning ferry across from Maui then the afternoon back.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

Well ovar, you do have enough time to visit 3 or 4 islands. Let us know which ones are your top choices, and which ones you definately do not plan to visit. Then maybe we can come up with a reasonable plan.

My biased opinion is that you will need at least 4 days to do justice to Lana`i. And this would be a great island to just mellow out for a while.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To the user named OVAR who PM'ed me

Thank you very much for your willingness to help me.

I am a little bit confused by the different reactions. I have some Hawaii books: Frommer, the Rough Guide and Hawaii for Dummies. In Hawaii for Dummies I read: "Lanai is not particularly beautiful, nor does it offer much in the personality department. There's little or nothing to do here, which is the entire idea of this getaway island". When we are on holidays we want to see as much as possible. We like to visit beaches, but we're not going to sit for hours on the beach. Usually we are from 9 am to 4 pm on the road to see as much as possible.

Now we are thinking about two alternatives for the three weeks we will spend:

1. Maui (6 nights) - Molokai(4 nights) - Big Island (6 nights) - Kauai (5 nights); from Maui a daytrip to Lanai with the ferry + Adventure or with Paragon

2. Maui (7 nights) - Molokai (5 nights) - Lanai (3 nights) - Kauai (6 Nights)

An important consideration to make a decision is to know if Molokai and Lanai offer enough 'attractions'. The Four Seasons Manele Bay Hotel seems to be a great hotel to stay, but we don't intend to stay the whole day at the hotel.

Maybe you can help?