We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Hello,

Do either of the resorts have a library with reading material? Or is their one in Lanai City? Or a bookstore?

Just curious, as I'd rather not lug books around even if they are paperback.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Perfect timing to tout the love for my Kindle and my wife's Nook. Seriously makes travel great! I know they are pricey but well worth it when you don't want to lug books around.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

The Lodge at Koele has a beautiful well-stocked library for guests....

See:

fourseasons.com/koele/…

Sipping tea in the afternoon while reading Dickens by a fire is a unique Hawaii experience.

Edited: 06 August 2010, 22:39
Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Hey Hey just what I was looking for, thanks for the link.

Hmm, well I was trying to stay unplugged and leave my electronic gadgets at home, the Kindle is enticing though.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

I'm curious whether 4S got the heavy mold smell out of the library. I could barely handle walking through it in 2004. It made me feel ill. I know it had to be the books- - sadly the damp parts of Hawaii have that effect on books and leather. Once it's in a book I can't read it due to the smell, but I do have mold allergies so am probably hypersensitive. Still, the library reeked. It was odd for such a classy place.

The library map room at Manele had a whiff but was much better. I found that room to be a nice place to relax.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

I can usually read about an hour or so a day and not have to charge my kindle for 2 weeks.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Note the phrase "the Library is filled with classic books for your reading pleasure". So don't expect to find the latest on the NY Times best seller list. A paperback for the beach might be a good idea too. They also sell a few books in the gift shops. Pick up the small "Pocket book guide to Lana'i" there.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Maui County library system has a branch in Lana'i City -- phone # 808-565-6996. Give 'em a ring ...

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Library number thanks! I hadn't thought about the Mold issue, the Kindle is looking better and better isn't it :)

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

Didn't notice a mold smell in the library when we were there but also didn't see a lot of "light reading" either. There was a bookshelf over by the pool attendant desk near the pool at Manele and it looked like the kind of thing that people just left books they were done with there for others to borrow. There were some paperbacks and magazines. The gift shop at Manele had some books but not a huge selection.

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reading Material, Library, Bookstore

I say go with the kindle. Brought mine on my recent trip to Maui and I will never go without it again. Besides seeing all the wonderful sights of Hawaii, I love to read a good book on the beach. My kindle makes it so easy! No need to carry 5 or 6 books with me anymore, or try to find a bookstore/library. It lasted the entire vacation (12 days) without having to recharge.