We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

Hey all,

Will be our first time in Hawaii. 5 nights in Kauai followed by 5 nights in Oahu. Very last minute planning ... but there's what we have so far for Kauai. Not trying to fill up every day with non-stop on the go. Kinda want to relax and take it easy, but also make the best use of our time.

Still, I think we need a couple more to do's, more so on day 3/4. Looking for places we can explore on our own. We were going to do a photo tour, but kinda seems overpriced for something we could just do on our own? This: http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/kauaitours.htm

Just looking for some great places to explore (drive, walk, hike), kill time, relax and take some great pictures! Possibly another boat tour of some sorts, but we are also taking a catamaran tour on Oahu.

Any and all feedback is most appreciated!

Day 1 (landing at 2pm)

- Travel to Kalalau/ Pu'u O Kila Lookout and explore

- Dinner at Beach House

Day 2

- Helicopter tour (blue hawaiin)

- Check out some beaches (Hanalei, Tunnels)

- Dinner at Hukilau Lanai

Day 3

- Whale Watching in the afternoon (Kauai Sea Tours)

Day 4

- Kauai Zodiac snorkeling tour

Day 5

- Captain Andy's Star Na Pali sunset dinner cruise

Edited: 13 February 2017, 01:33
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
1. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

We're really liking this list as random/cheap/free events during downtime: thisismyhappiness.com/2016/…

Just hard to focus in on what we should do, schedules and priorities.

California
Level Contributor
41,423 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

Day 1: Well I sure wouldn't drive to the canyon at 2pm. By the time you wait in line for your car, drive to the hotel or condo and settle in, its time for sunset and dinner. Coulds could cover the views.

Day 2: Sure, sounds fine. Take into consideration traffic on the way back. Hukialu is not a place to dine in your bathing suit coverup. Maybe bring a change of clothes in the car.

You are doing two boat trips? I sure wouldn't. Make that day a canyon day followed by checking out the westside like Hanapepe, Salt Pond etc.

Day 5? ANOTHER boat trip? Good grief. Go hike, go kayak, do something else. That is way overkill. Check out more beaches like Anini and snorkel, go to a farmers market, check out a museum and some waterfalls. Smell the plumeria.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,987 posts
1 review
3. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

You're going on a catamaran tour on Oahu then 3 more boat tours on Kauai? And you're thinking maybe one more boat cruise? You should know there's a lot of overlap between the 3 Kauai boat cruises you're planning on. All daytime tours that go along the NaPali coastline offer a stop for snorkeling and they'll whale watch also on those tours. Is the Kauai SeaTours cruise of the NaPali coastline? If so, the Captain Andy's one is also. One of these can be knocked and you'd save yourself some money. The Captain Andy's sunset dinner sails do not stop for snorkeling. So you can take that along with the zodiac snorkeling tour. If you don't care if it's a dinner cruise you can take the Kauai SeaTours boat which would include stopping for snorkeling and a buffet lunch. In this case you wouldn't need the Captain Andy's dinner sails.

You really need to check into each boat cruise and know exactly what their route is ( all NaPali or some along the south shore?) and decide if you really need all 3 of them. You have boat tours scheduled for all of your last 3 days. I think that's overkill and you might want to be on terra firma for awhile.

I agree with wanting to have time to explore on your own and relax but a boat cruise every day for 3 days eats up a lot of that free time. And on the photo tour it's something you can do on your own. You do not need so many expensive tours to see the best of Kauai

Edited: 13 February 2017, 02:05
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

I agree that's too many boat trips, but we've done the Hawaiian photo tour twice and highly recommend it. Sure, some of the stops you could find on your own, but not all of them. And it's so nice to have someone driving that is knowledgeable about the island. The guides we had were great and we met some really nice people from all over the world. It's a van and I think there were just seven of us each time.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,987 posts
1 review
5. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

Leilani, you're right. I've re-thought my advice about the photo tour. It's a nice introduction to the island. Abean, keep that but re-think some of those boat tours.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
6. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

Well, only two of the above are boats, snorkeling is off the shore (and only 2 hours).

Whale watching is also two hours and the dinner cruise is 4. We had heard this is the season for whale watching and very awesome, is that not true? A sunset dinner on the water is also something we'd enjoy as we did something similar in the Maldives and loved it.

Nothing solidified quite yet for Oahu, wanted to work through this first.

The photo tour does look solid but timing may be challenging. If it's worth it, we may have to adjust the helicopter date.

Will look into more of the above tomorrow.

Thanks all

California
Level Contributor
41,423 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

You will see whales, go snorkeling and see the scenery if you take ONE boat trip. You are really wasting money by doing more than 1 boat tour.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
8. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

NapaGuy, we'll look more into the overlap you mentioned above, thanks.

Captain Andy's just seemed to be highly recommended but if killing two birds with one stone makes more sense...

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
9. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

Yeah that makes sense. Minimum it sounds like kill off the whale watching tour.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
10. Re: Leaving for Kauai soon, feedback on itinerary?

As for the Canyon, yeah... I think we're gonna get rid of the whale tour and check out the Canyon then.

Yep, we got some work to do tomorrow!