We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running in Roatan

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Running in Roatan

Quick question for anyone that might be able to help. My wife is an avid runner and training for a marathon and will thus need to get in a couple of runs at least 7-10 miles during our vacation. We are staying at Infinity Bay. Anyone have any suggestions for safe routes or where a treadmill might be available?

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
266 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running in Roatan

There are many gyms on the Island, Check out the one in Jackson Plaza close to the Airport. Also, I run. I love the hills between west bay and west end. If you keep your wits about you, you shouldnt have an issue with street running. Enjoy Roatan!

Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Running in Roatan

When are you going and what is her pace? I'm a runner also. Safety in numbers.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running in Roatan

Definitely safety in numbers. My friend is an annual Boston Marathon runner. We stayed at Infinity Bay also. On our first trip to Roatan in 2010 she ran by herself around the southwest tip by West Bay, through a forested area, on the road up to the lighthouse,etc. as we felt, especially from things we had read on this forum, that Roatan was ultra safe. Having said that West Bay is probably one of the more safer areas on the island. We returned again this year in February...but by the end of the week she had decided NOT to run by herself anymore...because of a combination of things that happened....a fellow tourist was robbed while he was doing the beach walk from West Bay to West End...we would have been the victims as we were coming along next....and the islanders themselves are saying that crime is increasing on the island....and there was a rather "grisly" murder of a local who was involved in cocaine and several mainlanders came to settle some sort of score....this is NOT TO ALARM....however we were more naive on our first trip and thought Roatan was in this bubble void of problems....our eyes were opened on the second...if we go a third time...there will be no beach walk to West End...and no running alone. The crime is the petty theft type...however that can sure shake you up...so just don't give it an opportunity...if you are venturing out play it safe and you will have a happy holiday.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running in Roatan

The road between West Bay (where Infinity Bay is located) and West End is lovely and steep. Maybe 3 miles more or less with 800-1000 foot climb. No one walks it because it is so steep and the beach route is so much shorter. Excellent views to both sides of the island.She can do that while you sensibly walk the beach route and probably beat her. Not a lot of traffic and, as I recall, fairly generous shoulders if she needs to get off the road. If she just wants the workout without much distance, she could just run the hill leaving West Bay. Not exactly deserted with a number of homes along the route. Once in West End, I don;t think the run to the east toward Sandy Bay is that great with much more traffic and narrower road. I carried a load of groceries along that route once (!!) in the heat and that was enough.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 20:13
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Running in Roatan

Will be there April 9 -16. Thank you all for your replies. Appreciate any more advice as well! Maybe closest workout facility to Inifinity Bay that we could pay to use?

Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Running in Roatan

Henry Morgan says it has a fitness centre. Maybe you can get day passes?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running in Roatan

Hey!

I walk the the road between West End and West Bay on regular basis. I walk in by way of the beach and back by way of the road. There are always a few runners on the road with me. I do the Lighthouse loop on occasion and I have been known to walk from West Bay to Sandy Bay.

Don't take anything of value with you and no one will bother ya.

Monroe, Connecticut
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running in Roatan

We will be @ Infinity Bay April 9 - 17, as well. I have been advised that Henry Morgan Fitness Center can be used at a rate of $5USD per day. I plan on using it - can't imagine not working out for the entire week!

We will probably see you @ the resort! We rented a condo via VRBO and are so looking forward to it!

Kim

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Running in Roatan

Hi, I will be staying at Anthony's Key Resort for two weeks in September. I'm also training for a marathon. Can anyone inform me of running routes - I will be running fairly long distances of 10 miles plus - in that area? I will most likely have to run alone on at least a few runs. Or nearby gym/health club info is also appreciated.

Thanks for any advice, details, info, etc. :)

Edited: 25 July 2011, 18:28
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running in Roatan

I am not a runner - but given the number of dogs on the island, I'm surprised no runners/walkers are describing any issues with them. Between the territorial dogs at the homes and the strays - not an issue?