We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payabay

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Payabay

I'm considering PayaBay for our August caribbean trip. There are a couple of things that have me a little concerned. I'm sure all that work at PayaBay are very honest but, I noticed they don't have a room safe and we would like to take our SLR camera. I'm thinking its probably just best that we leave the camera at home and take one of our older digital cameras that would only cost 50 bucks to replace but maybe someone has an insiders take on this resort .

Also, we have quite a bit of experience with bugs in Mexico, Jamaica, Domincan Republic and St Barths. I'm thinking they can't be any worse here than anywhere else in the Carib but, maybe someone thats traveled around the Carib some has a different perspective? We do have plenty of deet products that we usually take with us.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 22:15
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payabay

Will be interested to hear others' responses. We're going in Feb. and plan to bring a bug net for sleeping just in case... (hey - they don't take much room and zero weight...)

For the camera, I love photography. That said, I wouldn't think of taking a large heavy SLR on vaca anymore, since the cheesy little digitals take such good pics and are so carefree. If you're a pro, maybe... otherwise... the heck with the hassle and lighten the load. JMHO. :)

Waterloo
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payabay

You should email the Paya Bay Resort directly. I sent an enquiry awhile back and received a very curteous reply.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payabay

If you notice at the top right of this page it has the top questions about Roatan. The bugs are number one. Search the forum and you shall find...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payabay

Thanks for all the replies. I found a review that mostly answered my questions about the in room safe. There is also a thoughtful response made by the owner/manager.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Unfortunately, no matter how trusted you may think people are leaving money unsecured in a hotel room is very tempting. My last few trips to the carib have been to St Barths and its probably one of (if not the safest) the safest islands in the Carib. That said theft does happen. Some of it is almost funny. In one instance a local took someones cigarettes and i-pod. They would have gotten away but, they sat down a block away to listen to the i-pod and smoke the cigarettes. French Gendarmerie found the guy and returned the property. :) If you are at all familiar with French Gendarmerie they come off as a cross between policemen and special forces. In some cases like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. Pretty intimidating bunch. Anyway I have digressed. Reading the review about the theft does not discourage me. Infact I find the response from their owner/manager encourageing.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payabay

Well, I have read the posts on Bugs and it looks like the issue is subjective. I guess if the bugs like you they will find you on Roatan. Take some deet seems to be the theme. That said has anyone heard of a product called Zanzarin? I think its available mostly in Europe. I was reading some info that it is very effective in repelling sand fleas and its all natural based on extracts from coconuts and papaya. Anyway, if your have heard of it and no where you can get it either online or otherwise let me know.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 20:51
I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payabay

This is interesting... I found this site, but had to translate from German. They seem to be selling lotion but I have no idea if you can buy in notes other than euro.

ciao.de/Erfahrungsberichte/Zanzarin_Bio_Loti…

This one is selling a spay but same problem German.

dooyoo.de/insektenabwehr/…2

Edited: 20 January 2011, 21:15
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payabay

Thanks!! The first link you provided has a link to Ebay. I can buy from Ebay with paypal and it will convert my dollars to euros but, I'm not certain if they will ship the product to the US.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Payabay

That was a bit of team effort...very cool.

Let us know how it works out....

Were I not boarding a plane next week I would give it a go as well.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Payabay

I guess if a drugstore or grocery store is near while your visiting Roatan you could check for it. I read a forum post made by a man that grew up in Jamaica and he said he used Zanzarin so if you can get it in Jamaica maybe its available in other Carib countries as well. Cant hurt to check. :) Here is some additional info on Zanzarin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungiasis

Basically...Tungiasis is a skin disease you can get when bitten by a female Sand Flea.

Public Health and Prevention Studies

Due to the high number of hosts, eradication of tungiasis is not feasible, at least not easily so. Public health and prevention strategies should then be done with elimination as the target. Better household hygiene, including having a cemented rather than a sand floor, and washing it often, would lower the rates of tungiasis significantly.

Though vaccines would be useful, due to the ectoparasitic nature of chigoe flea, they are neither a feasible nor an effective tool against tungiasis. Nevertheless, due to the high incidence of secondary infection, those at risk of tungiasis should get vaccinated against tetanus. A better approach is to use repellents that specifically target the chigoe flea.

One very successful repellent is called Zanzarin, a derivative of coconut oil, jojoba oil, and aloe vera. In a recent study involving two cohorts, the infestation rates dropped 92% on average for the first one and 90% for the other. Likewise, the intensity of the cohorts dropped by 86% and 87% respectively. The non-toxic nature of Zanzarin, combined with its “remarkable regression of the clinical pathology” make this a tenable public health tool against tungiasis.[25]

Edited: 20 January 2011, 22:39
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Payabay

As a disclaimer to my previous post the Sand Flea and Sand Fly are sometimes confused. The flea referred to in the wiki article looks different than the Sand Fly I have read about in other articles. I gues at times its difficult to tell whats eating you. :) What I am reading makes it sounds like the Zanzarin repellent will work for both.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 22:48