We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport shuttles?

Playa Samara, Costa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Airport shuttles?

I'm traveling in November and I'm trying to decide which end of my trip I will stay in Pana... I can go there first but I would prefer to go last after Antigua. I am just looking for some advice regarding getting to the airport. Will I be able to make a shared shuttle to the airport for a flight at 1:30pm? Thanks!!

4 replies to this topic
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport shuttles?

If you can find a shuttle that leaves early enough, it's possible. But I wouldn't risk it. I'd take a late afternoon shuttle the day before and spend the night at a place near the airport.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport shuttles?

There is generally a share shuttle option at 5am which - in theory - could work. The companies will say the shuttles take 3 or 3.5 hours but I'd figure at least 5; the llast 2 times I took share shuttles from Pana to GUA it took more than 5 hours each time - never again! You should be at the airport by 11:30 so shuttles leaving at 7 or 8am aren't likely to work.

Although risky, I've gone from Panajachel to GUA for an afternoon flight home with a private driver 3 or 4 times and made it in 2.5 to 3.5 hours, depending on traffic in GC (time of day, day of week, and luck are factors). The wild card would be a traffic accident, construction, strike, etc., that would shut the path down completely in which case it would have been much better to stay that last night in Antigua or GC. In June some friends were headed from Pana to Antigua and sat on the highway near Tecpan for nearly 6 hours behind a roadblock caused by a strike, experienced private driver, no way around.

The timing difference is in part that the share shuttles drive around in circles picking people up and rarely actually leave Pana at the scheduled time but mainly because they stop in Antigua and do the same.

Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:

Adrenalina Tours: http://www.adrenalinatours.com

Rainbow Travel: http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

Our favorite private driver, Alfredo Garcia, is bilingual, personable, prompt, and safe, and has nice vehicles: alf.transport@yahoo.com

Happy trails!

Playa Samara, Costa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport shuttles?

Thanks so much! Very helpful :)

4. Re: Airport shuttles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 January 2017, 23:03

Reply to: Airport shuttles?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted