We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Spots for Sunset Photography

United States
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Best Spots for Sunset Photography

Hi, I am planning to arrive in Panajachel around 5:30-6:00pm by taking a 2:00pm shuttle from Antigua (just in time for the sunset?) I will be staying at Hotel Utz Jay near the dock area at the end of Calle Santander. I was wondering what might be the best vantage point to shoot time-lapse videos of the sunset? Any spot offering wider, unobstructed views of the lake and the surroundings would be ideal.

I saw many people recommended Sunset Cafe at the end of Calle Santander; however, I don't want to set up my cameras inside a cafe. Do you recommend any public spots or vantage points? How good is the dock area itself?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
464 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Best Spots for Sunset Photography

First: Be aware that sunsets are quick in Guatemala, both because of the mountains and because the country is so much closer to the equator than we are in the U.S. So the glorious sunset you might be imagining will be over in about 15 minutes. I exaggerate...a little.

The public boardwalk at the bottom of Santander area is plenty open. To get a sense of what the views are like there, you can use the Google Maps Streetview function.

Step 1: Go to Google maps

Step 2: Zoom into Panajachel area, near the lake.

Step 3: Click and drag the little yellow "Streetview" guy icon from the bottom right hand corner of your Google map. You will see a bunch of blue dots that represent the Google Photosphere. Sometimes these photospheres photos are not placed in the right spot. But if you click on the ones at the end of Calle Santander, those are accurate.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
464 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Best Spots for Sunset Photography

Also--forgot to add this: it might be cloudy or rainy in the afternoon anyway. You might be better off getting up early to get some sunrise photography.

3. Re: Best Spots for Sunset Photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2018, 07:18