We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

We have a private boat booked to take us to three villages on Thursday, arranged through our hotel. A guide is not included. Should we hire one? If so, how? And which three villages should we choose?

6 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

Where are you staying? My choices would include San Juan and Santiago. I would hire a local guide at the dock in Santiago to take you to see Maximón and the special room in the Catholic church where Stanley Rother was murdered - it's been set up as a small museum. You could contact Lee Beal about a guide.

www.kayakguatemala.com

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

We are staying at Hotel Atitlan. Thank you for the suggestions.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

And they suggest we depart at 7:30am. How long would we need to see three villages?

Edited: 14 March 2017, 15:22
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

It depends how much you actually want to see. If you want to just get off the boat and wander around the dock/touristy area, half an hour per village would be enough. If you want to visit the places in Santiago I suggest, take in a demonstration at a women's weaving cooperative in San Juan, enjoy a few local markets, hike between villages, and enjoy a traditional lunch somewhere, it will be a full day even starting at 7:30. It's your call, but do try to get up away from the dock areas and away from the main tourist streets wherever you go.

Your hotel might be able to suggest someone to guide you if you decide not to contact Lee Beal. If you don't choose a guide, I'd research ahead so you know which villages you want to visit and what (and how) to accomplish that.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

I ended up booking through Lee--thanks so much. Decided to postpone the tour to Friday to allow us more time at the absolutely magical Hotel Atitlan. Wow!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?

Excellent - enjoy!

Reply to: Guide needed for tour of Lake Atitlan villages?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel